Get ready for more sword boys action and adventure as the official Twitter account for the Touken Ranbu Hanamaru anime revealed that a “new Hanamaru story” and project is in development. The announcement was posted on Saturday.
As of this time, the announcement did not specify yet which medium the project will be released. However, it did state that it will take time before Touken Ranbu Hanamaru staff will reveal more information about this. So we will have to be patient for more updates.
Previously, the December issue of Monthly Hero magazine announced that the popular online browser and mobile game Touken Ranbu will have another manga anthology which is slated to be released in spring 2020. This anthology project was a way to commemorate the magazine’s eighth anniversary.
The announcement came with a beautiful illustration of Izuminokami Kanesada created by Majestic Prince and Get Backers illustrator Rando Ayamine.
The second project that has been confirmed is an upcoming collaboration with a pachislot and pachinko maker Universal Entertainment.
Touken Ranbu is a browser game created by DMM Games in which the player obtains swords in the form of handsome swords. A majority of the first generation of swords are named and inspired by real historical Japanese swords. The popularity of the franchise has paved way for an anime adaptation Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru, manga adaptations, and a couple of stage play adaptations.
The first anime adaptation Touken Ranbu Hanamaru first premiered in October 2016 for a total of 12 episodes. The second season Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru was aired on in Japan on January 8, 2018 on BS 11 and Tokyo MX. DMM also began streaming the anime on its website on the same day. This season still followed the same format as the first where the episodes are named after months of the year.
The 28th and final chapter of the Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru manga was released on April 4 last year. The manga is created by Saru Hashino and was released in December 2016. It is based from the anime series of the same name.
The franchise also had other animated adaptations as well as stage play adaptations. In July 2017, a Touken Ranbu anime premiered in Japan titled as Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu. The animation is done by ufotable, the same company that produced Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Zero, and God Eater. Now disbanded group Kalafina performed the anime’s ending theme song. Soma Saito performed the opening theme.
Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu star Ryohei Kimura as Izuminokami Kanesada (or Kane-san for short), Junya Enoki as Horikawa Kunihiro, Kento Hama as Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki, Tooru Sakurai as the Yari Tonbokiri, Seiichiro Yamashita as Yagen Toshiro, and Soma Saito as Tsurumaru Kunikaga. To make sure that the anime film will remain accurate to its original basis (an online browser game as well as a bit of Japanese historical background), the ufotable staff was guided along with the following individuals: Tatsuya Yamamura for historical research, weapons animators Mitsuru Obunai, Masayuki Kunihiro, and Masaru Kimura, and swordsmanship guidance by Kogyoku Watanabe.
A live-action film adaptation of the franchise was also produced and opened in theaters in 2019. The film was directed by Saiji Yakumo (who directed Mars live-action) with script written by Yasuko Kobayashi (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Kagegurui, and Attack on Titan).
In its cast members, five from the Touken Ranbu stage plays will be reprising their roles like Hiroki Suzuki as Mikazuki Munechika, Yoshihiro Aramaki as Yamanbagiri Kunihiro, Shiina as Fudou Yukimitsu, Ryō Kitamura as Yagen Toushirou, and Masanari Wada as Heshikiri Hasebe. Joining them in the movie were Hiroaki Iwanaga (Berserk anime’s Guts) as Nihongou, Fūma Sadamoto as Honebami Toushirou, Taizō, and Tomoki Hirose as Uguisu Maru.
About Touken Ranbu Hanamaru (as described by Crunchyroll)
In the year 2205, the past becomes threatened by the historical revisionists who seek to change it. Protecting history becomes the task of a boisterous band of swords that are brought to life, including the glamorous Kashu Kiyomitsu and the kindly Yamatonokami Yasusada. Beyond their battles, these legendary swords from different eras lead charming daily lives.
On the talk of Touken Ranbu, there is still no word if the browser game will be released in English and will be accessible for other countries. As of this time, only those living in Japan have access to the game. For the convenience of the players, the Touken Ranbu game can also be accessed on mobile for both Android and iOS devices. Same as the browser game however, you need to have a Japanese IP address if you want to download the app and play the game on the go.
There is seem to be more stuff to look forward to after all in the world of Touken Ranbu. We hope more of the sword boys from the game will be featured in its other upcoming mediums.
‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching ClimaxAug 7, 6am
The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter ReportAug 7, 7am
Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!” Aug 5, 7am
New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKENAug 4, 4am
Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song DownloadsJul 29, 4am
After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 PremiereAug 5, 6am
Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” FilmAug 3, 5am
In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official MemberAug 4, 5am
Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers” Jul 28, 5am
- ‘Golden Kamuy’ Anime Collaboration is Happening in Mobile Game GRAND SUMMONERS
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Maxiboost ON Tops Latest Japanese Video Game Rankings
- The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter Report
- ‘TEKKEN 7’ Video Game Announces Season Pass 4!
- ‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching Climax
- Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!”
- After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 Premiere
- Sailor Moon Eternal Film Reveals Voice Cast for the Amazon Trio
- “Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku” Gets New OVA Episode
- In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official Member
- New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKEN
- Shonen Jump Teases that One Piece is Entering its “Upcoming Final Arc”
- Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” Film
- “Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train” Reveals New Full Trailer, Theme Song by LiSA
- New Visual and October 2 Premiere Revealed for “TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You”
- Goro Miyazaki is in Full Confidence on the Success of ‘Earwig and the Witch’ CG Film
- A Florida Congressman Warns Citizens About “Internet Anime Porn” Like ‘Dragon Ball Z’
- Dance Video of “Kaguya-sama”’s Chika Fujiwara Reaches 20 Million Views!