Some unexpected good news for all Dragon Ball fans out there: an interview with Shueisha’s Dragon Ball Unit director Akio Iyoku is currently making the rounds in the internet in which he says that preparations for the next Dragon Ball Super movie are already underway!
This interview came from the booklet included in the Blu-ray and DVD release of the Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which was recently released in Japan. A snapshot of the interview with Iyoku was posted on social media by Twitter user @sunlemonmono, which you can see here.
In the interview translated by Comicbook.com, Iyoku directly states: “Now for our next steps, we are steadily preparing for the next movie.” He continues in his interview:
“Broly was so strong that I think the next one will probably be totally different. I’ve overcome various hurdles with parts of Broly, so I won’t get burned out," Iyoku continued. "I think that Dragon Ball will continue on, so I want fans to look forward to it.”
In the same bonus interview booklet, Iyoku’s statements were confirmed by Norihiro Hayashida, the producer of Dragon Ball Super: Broly.
This news comes as a surprise for most Dragon Ball fans, as Toei Animation has stated that no new episodes of Dragon Ball Super were in production. Last March, Toei also denied the rumors that a new Dragon Ball Super anime is in the works.
Most fans know that the Dragon Ball Super manga’s story had already passed where the anime ended. It’s highly possible, therefore, that this upcoming film will draw its plot from the manga’s new original story. Given the huge blockbuster success of the Dragon Ball Super: Broly film, a sequel movie should have already been a no-brainer for both the fans and Toei themselves. Only thing missing now is an official confirmation from Toei Animation itself.
- Otakon in Washington to Host Fruits Basket’s Tohru, Yuki, and Hatsuharu Japanese VAs
- BanG Dream! Releases Full Trailer For Its 1st Concert Film
- Voice Actresses of ‘Made in Abyss’ and ‘Promised Neverland’ Confirmed to Attend Anime Expo
- “Kaguya-Sama: Love is War” VA Aoi Koga to Have a Guest Role in the Series’ Live-Action Film
- Boys’ Love Anime “Given” Releases New Trailer & OP Preview, July Premiere Set
- My Hero Academia Season 4 Reveals Character Visuals for Big 3, Sir Nighteye & Bubble Girl
- Racehorse that Inspired One of “Uma Musume Pretty Derby” Characters Dies
- ‘No More Heroes III’ Game Slated to Release in 2020 for Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Reveals Release Date for “Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening” Remake
- Nintendo Announces “Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” Sequel
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Also Announced by Square Enix at E3
- Square Enix Debuts New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake That Includes Tifa
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Slated for a March 3, 2020 Worldwide Release
- Yuri Manga “Fragtime” Gets OVA Adaptation, Releases PV and Premiere Date
- “Pastel Memories” Mobile Game to End Service on August 6
- See New Persona 5 Character Kasumi Yoshizawa in Battle with Her Persona
- Sailor Moon Editor Osano, “The Super Live” Actress Kanae Yumemiya to Grace Anime Expo LA
- My Hero Academia Launches the Cutest Collaboration with Sanrio