The blockbuster hit maker himself has spoken! Wildly popular and critically acclaimed director Makoto Shinkai, whose 2016 film your name (Kimi no Na wa) is the highest-grossing anime film of all time worldwide, recently commented about the smashing success of Demon Slayer the Movie: Mugen Train! Shinkai tweeted an article about Mugen Train’s record-breaking sales in its first three days, and said,
The tweet translates as: “Wow! How is this possible at the Japanese box office? A huge accomplishment!”
It is definitely a huge accomplishment, since the film earned over 4.6 billion yen (USD 43.8 million) in just its first three days! For comparison, other films that earned exceedingly well in its first three days in Japan are Makoto Shinkai’s your name (1.3 billion yen = USD 12.5 million) and Weathering with You (1.6 billion yen = USD 15.2 million), as well as Hollywood film Frozen 2 (USD 18.2 million). Looking at these numbers, it’s clear that Demon Slayer easily blew away all competition.
Some are saying that Mugen Train is well on its way to beat your name’s local and even worldwide box-office record given that it has yet to premiere worldwide, so we’ll all have to see! As it is, we’re all excited to watch the film as soon as it hits theaters outside Japan!
The film opened in Japan last October 16, with North American releases set for early 2021.
The manga’s story is described by Anime News Network as such:
“Since ancient times, rumors have abounded of man-eating demons lurking in the woods. Because of this, the local townsfolk never venture outside at night. Legend has it that a demon slayer also roams the night, hunting down these bloodthirsty demons. For young Tanjiro, these rumors will soon to become his harsh reality. Ever since the death of his father, Tanjiro has taken it upon himself to support his family. Although their lives may be hardened by tragedy, they’ve found happiness. But that ephemeral warmth is shattered one day when Tanjiro finds his family slaughtered and the lone survivor, his sister Nezuko, turned into a demon. To his surprise, however, Nezuko still shows signs of human emotion and thought. Thus begins Tanjiro’s request to fight demons and turn his sister human again.”
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is a shonen manga series written by Koyoharu Gotoge. It was first published in February 2016 in Weekly Shonen Jump and ended last May. The manga’s English license is currently held by Viz Media.
Source: Crunchyroll News
HBO Max to Stream Jujustu Kaisen in English Dub Nov 27, 8am
Second Eldest Quint Nino Gets the Spotlight in New Promo Video for “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2 Nov 18, 3am
New TV Commercial, January 10 Premiere Revealed for Skating-Themed Anime “Skate-Leading Stars”Nov 16, 6am
“Demon Slayer” Movie Now 3rd Highest-Grossing Film in Japan of All Time After Beating “your name”Nov 24, 3am
New Promo Video, Visual Revealed for Upcoming Romantic Drama Film “Josee, the Tiger, and the Fish”Nov 19, 3am
New Visual, Final English-Subtitled Trailer Revealed for Netflix Live-Action Adaptation of “Alice in Borderland”Nov 18, 2am
- Organizing Cosplay Events and Conventions
- 8th Season Confirmed for ‘Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories’, to Air in January 2021
- HBO Max to Stream Jujustu Kaisen in English Dub
- New “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2 Promo Video Focuses on Third Oldest Quint Miku
- New TV Ad for “Seven Deadly Sins” Reveals Theme Song Artists for New Series
- First of Two Anime Films Focused on “BanG Dream!” Band Roselia Set to Open on April 23
- “My Hero Academia” Twitter Accounts Post Teaser Photos for Anime Project
- January 9 Premiere, Theme Song by ClariS Revealed for “Cells at Work!!” Season 2
- “act-age” Author Tatsuya Matsuki Admits to Sexual Assault Charges in 1st Day at Court
- “Demon Slayer” Movie Now 3rd Highest-Grossing Film in Japan of All Time After Beating “your name”
- 9 New Cast Members, New Visual Revealed for “Horimiya” Anime
- Theme Song Artist Revealed for “Cells at Work! Code Black” TV Anime Series
- Romcom Manga “Horimiya” Gets Live-Action Film and TV Series
- Hololive EN Vtuber Takanashi Kiara Announces Release of 1st Single, “HINOTORI”
- New Promo Video, Visual Revealed for Upcoming Romantic Drama Film “Josee, the Tiger, and the Fish”
- Second Eldest Quint Nino Gets the Spotlight in New Promo Video for “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2
- New Visual, Final English-Subtitled Trailer Revealed for Netflix Live-Action Adaptation of “Alice in Borderland”
- January 9 Premiere Date Set for TV Anime Adaptation of Romcom Manga “Horimiya”