While the Irregular at Magic High School novel series is set to end its successful 12-year run, the franchise is not yet over! The official Twitter account of the popular light novel series by Tsutomu Satou has announced that the series will be getting two sequels. The first sequel novel, with the tentative title Zoku・Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei Magian Company (Sequel・The Irregular at Magic High School Magian Company) will be released at around fall 2020. The novel will follow Tatsuya and others after they have graduated from high school.
The second sequel series, tentatively titled Shin・Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei Cygnus no Otome-tachi (New・The Irregular at Magic High School Maidens of Cygnus), will be released around winter 2021. The new novel will tell the story of the students who will attend Tatsuya’s high school after his graduation. A prequel to this second sequel novel is currently being published in the franchise’s official website.
The main novel series will end on the 32nd volume. Entitled “Sacrifice-hen/Sotsugou-hen” (Sacrifice/Graduation Arc), the 32nd and final volume will be shipped out this September 10.
The English license for the light novels is held by Yen Press, who describes the series’ story as such:
“The year is 2095. Magic has been tamed as another form of technology, and the practice of magic is now a rigorous discipline. Brother and sister Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba are just about to start their first year at the renowned First Magic High School of Japan. But the school’s ironclad rules mean that the brilliant Miyuki enters the prestigious Course 1, while her older brother, Tatsuya, is relegated to Course 2—and that’s just the beginning of their troubles!”
A second season has been previously announced for the series and is set to adapt the Visitor arc (Raihousha-hen) or volumes 9-11 of the light novel series by Tsutomu Satou. Season 2 was originally set for a July premiere but was moved to October because of the current coronavirus pandemic.
Risako Yoshida, who directed the franchise’s movie The Girl Who Summons the Stars, is set to direct the second season. Character design for the second season is credited to Kana Ishida, with Taku Iwasaka returning to compose the series’ music. The second season will be produced by 8-bit, who also produced the movie. The first season was produced by Madhouse.
Main cast members Yuichi Nakamura (Tatsuya Shiba), Saori Hayami (Miyuki Shiba), and Yoko Hikasa (Angelina Kudou Shields) are set to return to the series.
Irregular at magic high school is a light novel series written by Tsutomu Satou and was published online from October 2008 to March 2011. A manga adaptation drawn by Majiko! was launched in December 2015 and ended on June 2018. In April 2014, Madhouse premiered a 26-episode TV anime adaptation of the series directed by Manabu Ono. A film adaptation entitled Irregular at Magic High School The Movie: The Girl Who Summons the Stars premiered in Japan last June 2017.
Source: Anime News Network
HBO Max to Stream Jujustu Kaisen in English Dub Nov 27, 8am
Second Eldest Quint Nino Gets the Spotlight in New Promo Video for “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2 Nov 18, 3am
New TV Commercial, January 10 Premiere Revealed for Skating-Themed Anime “Skate-Leading Stars”Nov 16, 6am
“Demon Slayer” Movie Now 3rd Highest-Grossing Film in Japan of All Time After Beating “your name”Nov 24, 3am
New Promo Video, Visual Revealed for Upcoming Romantic Drama Film “Josee, the Tiger, and the Fish”Nov 19, 3am
New Visual, Final English-Subtitled Trailer Revealed for Netflix Live-Action Adaptation of “Alice in Borderland”Nov 18, 2am
- Organizing Cosplay Events and Conventions
- 8th Season Confirmed for ‘Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories’, to Air in January 2021
- HBO Max to Stream Jujustu Kaisen in English Dub
- New “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2 Promo Video Focuses on Third Oldest Quint Miku
- New TV Ad for “Seven Deadly Sins” Reveals Theme Song Artists for New Series
- First of Two Anime Films Focused on “BanG Dream!” Band Roselia Set to Open on April 23
- “My Hero Academia” Twitter Accounts Post Teaser Photos for Anime Project
- January 9 Premiere, Theme Song by ClariS Revealed for “Cells at Work!!” Season 2
- “act-age” Author Tatsuya Matsuki Admits to Sexual Assault Charges in 1st Day at Court
- “Demon Slayer” Movie Now 3rd Highest-Grossing Film in Japan of All Time After Beating “your name”
- 9 New Cast Members, New Visual Revealed for “Horimiya” Anime
- Theme Song Artist Revealed for “Cells at Work! Code Black” TV Anime Series
- Romcom Manga “Horimiya” Gets Live-Action Film and TV Series
- Hololive EN Vtuber Takanashi Kiara Announces Release of 1st Single, “HINOTORI”
- New Promo Video, Visual Revealed for Upcoming Romantic Drama Film “Josee, the Tiger, and the Fish”
- Second Eldest Quint Nino Gets the Spotlight in New Promo Video for “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2
- New Visual, Final English-Subtitled Trailer Revealed for Netflix Live-Action Adaptation of “Alice in Borderland”
- January 9 Premiere Date Set for TV Anime Adaptation of Romcom Manga “Horimiya”