It seems there’s going to be long wait in waiting for the sequel of the Hollywood Sonic the Hedgehog film. Paramount Pictures announced on Thursday that its sequel, titled Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is slated to premiere in the United States on April 8, 2022.
Paramount Pictures previously confirmed that they will be producing a sequel to the Sonic the Hedgehog film. Jeff Fowler returns to direct the sequel, as well as the first movie’s scriptwriters Pat Casey and Josh Miller.
The first Sonic the Hedgehog film was a huge success and earned over USD $70 million on its opening weekend alone. The film was released digitally last March 31, with DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases were shipped on May 19.
In this upcoming sequel, Neal H. Moritz, Toby Ascher, and Toru Nakahara are credited as producers. While Hajime Satomi, Haruki Satomi, and Tim Miller are credited as executive producers.
Sonic the Hedgehog was originally intended to be released last year, but the dates have been pushed back to make way for major design reworks. The film is produced by Tim Miller (Deadpool), Toby Ascher, and Neal Moritz (Fast & Furious movie franchise). The film is directed by Jeff Fowler.
The original voice of Sonic for the film will be done by Ben Schwartz. It also stars James Marden and Tika Sumpter. Popular Hollywood actor Jim Carey will be playing the role of antagonist Dr. Robotnik.
Japanese Live-action actor Taishi Nakagawa will be voicing the Japanese voice of Sonic. Other cast members announced include Marina Inoue as Maddie, Kōichi Yamadera as Dr. Robotnik, and Yūichi Nakamura as Sheriff Tom. Nakagawa is notable for playing the role of Arata Kaizaki from the Japanese live-action film adaptation of the popular ReLIFE manga by Yayoiso.
Paramount Pictures describes the upcoming film as such:
Sonic tries to navigate the complexities of life on Earth with his newfound best friend — a human named Tom Wachowski. They must soon join forces to prevent the evil Dr. Robotnik from capturing Sonic and using his powers for world domination.
The first Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer was released on April 30th. The original video is now long gone, and it was set to private on YouTube. Upon seeing that trailer for the first time, it honestly was a complete cringe. The design of Sonic was just totally different—and it’s no question why a lot of people hated this. In just the first 24 hours, the video gathered more than 200,000 dislikes.
After the major backlash, there were various mixed opinions on Sonic. Some say that they should give this movie a chance because it may be something worth watching in the end. Others just didn’t bother and said that seeing the trailer and Sonic’s design alone was enough for them not to watch it in theaters.
The design of Sonic was previously leaked in a branding deck in the website of an advertising agency Hamagami/Caroll, Inc. The design that were released in these matches with the original design that was previewed in the first Sonic the Hedgehog trailer.
Producer Tim Miller released a statement last year in relation to the difference of his design like his fur and stating that his quills are different from actual hedgehogs. He said the following:
“It would be weird and it would feel like he was running around nude if he was some sort of otter-like thing. It was always, for us, fur, and we never considered anything different. It’s part of what integrates him into the real world and makes him a real creature.”
Producer Neal Mortiz also made a statement about Sonic’s shoes (initial design) saying:
“We looked at every different variation of what shoes he’s worn and we’re trying to pay homage to that and also make it current and present day in what we think a Sonic of today would wear.”
Later on in an interview released by entertainment website Variety, Miller that he agrees with the fans in regards to Sonic’s initial design and was willing to delay the film to do some rework. He said,
“Look, I was with fans and so was Jeff. When the s–t hit the fan, I went over there and said, “The most important thing to do, man, is say, ‘I f–ked up.’”
He also said that he praised Jeff Fowler for quick action on the feedback from fans.
“He’d already sent a tweet out an hour before I got there. He’s a good man. It was exactly the right way to handle that. The fans have a voice in this too. There’s a right way to listen.”
In relation to the film’s delayed premiere, he is confident that everything will pay off saying: “I think the fans will be pleased.”
‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching ClimaxAug 7, 6am
The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter ReportAug 7, 7am
Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!” Aug 5, 7am
New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKENAug 4, 4am
Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song DownloadsJul 29, 4am
After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 PremiereAug 5, 6am
Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” FilmAug 3, 5am
In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official MemberAug 4, 5am
Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers” Jul 28, 5am
- ‘Golden Kamuy’ Anime Collaboration is Happening in Mobile Game GRAND SUMMONERS
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Maxiboost ON Tops Latest Japanese Video Game Rankings
- The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter Report
- ‘TEKKEN 7’ Video Game Announces Season Pass 4!
- ‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching Climax
- Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!”
- After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 Premiere
- Sailor Moon Eternal Film Reveals Voice Cast for the Amazon Trio
- “Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku” Gets New OVA Episode
- In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official Member
- New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKEN
- Shonen Jump Teases that One Piece is Entering its “Upcoming Final Arc”
- Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” Film
- “Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train” Reveals New Full Trailer, Theme Song by LiSA
- New Visual and October 2 Premiere Revealed for “TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You”
- Goro Miyazaki is in Full Confidence on the Success of ‘Earwig and the Witch’ CG Film
- A Florida Congressman Warns Citizens About “Internet Anime Porn” Like ‘Dragon Ball Z’
- Dance Video of “Kaguya-sama”’s Chika Fujiwara Reaches 20 Million Views!