In a daily briefing on Wednesday, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said that the organizers of the anime and cosplay convention Anime Matsuri will be suspending this year’s event and is rescheduled to next year. Turner stated on Monday’s daily briefing that all other conferences and conventions will be rescheduled to next year.
In the report posted by ANN, the organizers of Anime Matsuri have not released an official announcement as of the date of the briefing, but the event’s CEO John Leigh said that deadline for refunds is extended until the end of July.
The main cause for the suspension of the events is due to health and safety measures related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
As of this post, the Anime Matsuri website has already released a statement on their blog which states:
We have tried to uncover every option available to host the convention safely for our community. We listened to the recommendations and guidelines by the Mayor’s Office, the City’s health officials, and the George R. Brown Convention Center.
We have also listened to you.
Safety is paramount and we have concluded it was impossible to host Anime Matsuri this year in the capacity and vision we intended, and provide the experience you deserve.
The Mayor of Houston, Sylvester Turner and the City’s health experts have recommended postponing the convention to 2021 due to the rising cases of COVID-19 in Houston and Texas.
In addition, travel restrictions to/from Texas are ongoing.
We have decided to postpone Anime Matsuri 2020 to July 8-11, 2021.
About Anime Matsuri (as described by its website)
Anime Matsuri is an annual anime and Japanese culture convention based in Houston, Texas. Whether it’s cosplay, music, fashion, anime, art, or collectibles; you name it, we’ve got it! We strive to bring the latest and greatest from Japan’s catwalks, animation studios and concert stages, over to our own backyard here in the United States.
Anime Matsuri’s inaugural event began in 2007. Since then, Anime Matsuri has grown to over 43,000 unique attendees, and is one of the largest anime convention in North America!
With so many in attendance, we have made the George R. Brown Convention Center our permanent home in the heart of downtown Houston. Here we host a 3 day “matsuri”, Japanese for “festival” or “celebration” full of many exciting panels, workshops, contests and events. We are proud to promote Japanese culture to our attendees with our cultural and fan based panels and workshops, Maid Cafe, Gaming, Japanese style Car Show, Japanese Concerts, and the largest Japanese Fashion Show in the United States. Our vision is to have the convention serve as a bridge from the East and West. We not only bring the excitement that is Japan, but we also try to educate the community on cultural diversity.
Anime Matsuri provides a safe, family-friendly environment, welcoming the seasoned con-veteran, as well as all who are curious about Japanese culture. We hope you and your family will come celebrate our festival with us!
‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching ClimaxAug 7, 6am
The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter ReportAug 7, 7am
Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!” Aug 5, 7am
New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKENAug 4, 4am
Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song DownloadsJul 29, 4am
After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 PremiereAug 5, 6am
Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” FilmAug 3, 5am
In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official MemberAug 4, 5am
Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers” Jul 28, 5am
- ‘Golden Kamuy’ Anime Collaboration is Happening in Mobile Game GRAND SUMMONERS
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Maxiboost ON Tops Latest Japanese Video Game Rankings
- The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter Report
- ‘TEKKEN 7’ Video Game Announces Season Pass 4!
- ‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching Climax
- Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!”
- After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 Premiere
- Sailor Moon Eternal Film Reveals Voice Cast for the Amazon Trio
- “Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku” Gets New OVA Episode
- In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official Member
- New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKEN
- Shonen Jump Teases that One Piece is Entering its “Upcoming Final Arc”
- Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” Film
- “Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train” Reveals New Full Trailer, Theme Song by LiSA
- New Visual and October 2 Premiere Revealed for “TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You”
- Goro Miyazaki is in Full Confidence on the Success of ‘Earwig and the Witch’ CG Film
- A Florida Congressman Warns Citizens About “Internet Anime Porn” Like ‘Dragon Ball Z’
- Dance Video of “Kaguya-sama”’s Chika Fujiwara Reaches 20 Million Views!