Are you ready for more Fruits Basket? To add more excitement, Funimation released an English-subtitled trailer on Friday previewing the anime’s 2nd half of this highly anticipated second season. Aside from this, Funimation has also released a new visual as well as preview of the new opening song “Home”, performed by Asako Toki. The new ending song “Eden” will be performed by Monkey Majik.
The second season of the new Fruits Basket anime premiered in April 7, 2020 and will continue on until the summer anime season.
It was announced in 2018 on the official website of Hana to Yume magazine that this year’s 24th issue of the magazine confirms a new anime adaptation of the popular Fruits Basket manga created by Natsuki Takaya. The text in the announcement image in the magazine says “Zenpen”, meaning “the entire story”.
The Fruits Basket manga series was released in the magazine back in 1998 and ended in 2006. It was released in English by Tokyopop and was re-released in 12 omnibus volumes by Yen Press in 2016.
The story centers on an ordinary high school girl named Tohru Honda who was forced to move out after a tragedy in the family and had no choice but to live in a tent. Little did she know that she actually stepped into the land owned by the Sohma clan. After she was offered to stay at their residence, she found out the Sohma’s family secret of turning themselves into animals based on their Chinese Zodiac when touched by the opposite sex.
The second season will feature a returning cast. Two new characters have been previously announced: Takuya Eguchi (Takeo Gouda in My Love Story!) will be playing Kakeru Manabe, who will serve as the student council vice-president (minor spoilers ahead) during Yuki’s term as president. Ai Kakuma (Isuzu Sento from Amagi Brilliant Park) will be playing Machi Kuragi, Kakeru’s half-sibling and the student council treasurer. For the English dub, Aaron Dismuke will be voicing Kakeru while Caitlin Glass will be Machi.
To refresh your memory, here are the names of the Japanese cast:
Tohru Honda VA: Manaka Iwami (Teresa Wagner in Tada-Kun Never Falls in Love)
Yuki Soma VA: Nobunaga Shimazaki (Haruka Nanase in Free!)
Kyo Soma VA: Yuma Uchida (Ash Lynx in Banana Fish)
Shigure Soma VA: Yuichi Nakamura (Tetsurou Kuroo from Haikyuu!!)
Arisa Uotani VA: Atsumi Tanezaki (Chise Hatori in Ancient Magus Bride)
Saki Hanajima VA: Satomi Sato (Tsumugi Takanashi in IDOLiSH7)
Kagura Soma VA: Rie Kugimiya (Taiga Aisaka in Toradora!)
Momiji Soma VA: Megumi Han (Atsuko “Akko” Kagari in Little Witch Academia)
Hatsuharu Soma VA: Makoto Furukawa (Saitama in One Punch Man)
Hatori Soma VA: Kazuyuki Okitsu (Banri Ogami in IDOLiSH7)
Ayame Soma VA: Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku Kururugi in Code Geass)
Akito Soma VA: Maaya Sakamoto (Haruhi Fujioka in Ouran High School Host Club)
Funimation previously published a comment from the manga’s creator Natsuki Takaya. Below is an excerpt of her commentary:
I never once felt negatively about the project or thought that I didn’t want to do it, but still, my first thought was “What?!” (lol)
So, I made several requests right off the bat.
One of those was to do it with a completely new team.
Completely new. Every single person.
I told [the producers], if you want to open the curtain again, then please make it all new. Please rebuild the Furuba world from scratch, with new everything.
Another request was to not make the art look too much like my art.
This was partly because my Furuba art is old now, pure and simple, and also largely because I was in poor health back then (you can find more details about that in the afterword to the Collector’s Edition, if you’re curious), so my drawing was awfully shaky. Because of that, I wanted them to rebuild the art as well.
Other than that… Well, it was a mix. On some things I gave them detailed thoughts, and on others I gave them my blessing to do as they liked.
The production staff promptly accepted my requests and worked to meet them, and I’m truly grateful to them all. Thank you again.
They also readily gave me permission to visit the recording sessions sometimes, which makes me so happy. I don’t actually do anything there; I’m just an observer. (Really, I don’t do anything.)
It’s a pure delight, getting to see the reels a little early like that.
We are looking forward to upcoming season 2 of this well-loved anime! The anime can be streamed in both Crunchyroll and Funimation!
‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching ClimaxAug 7, 6am
The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter ReportAug 7, 7am
Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!” Aug 5, 7am
New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKENAug 4, 4am
Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song DownloadsJul 29, 4am
After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 PremiereAug 5, 6am
Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” FilmAug 3, 5am
In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official MemberAug 4, 5am
Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers” Jul 28, 5am
- ‘Golden Kamuy’ Anime Collaboration is Happening in Mobile Game GRAND SUMMONERS
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Maxiboost ON Tops Latest Japanese Video Game Rankings
- The Nintendo Switch has Sold 61.44 Million Units Worldwide, Animal Crossing Sold 22.4 Million Copies in Latest Quarter Report
- ‘TEKKEN 7’ Video Game Announces Season Pass 4!
- ‘BEASTARS’ Manga is Now Reaching Climax
- Trailer Revealed for Trilogy Film of Surfing-Themed Mixed-Media Franchise “WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!”
- After COVID-19 Delay, “The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement” Now Slated for January 2021 Premiere
- Sailor Moon Eternal Film Reveals Voice Cast for the Amazon Trio
- “Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku” Gets New OVA Episode
- In a Franchise First, Newest Love Live! Group Nijigasaki Academy School Idol Club Adds New Official Member
- New Trailer Previews Theme Song of Anime Film “Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare” by BUMP OF CHICKEN
- Shonen Jump Teases that One Piece is Entering its “Upcoming Final Arc”
- Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” Film
- “Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train” Reveals New Full Trailer, Theme Song by LiSA
- New Visual and October 2 Premiere Revealed for “TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You”
- Goro Miyazaki is in Full Confidence on the Success of ‘Earwig and the Witch’ CG Film
- A Florida Congressman Warns Citizens About “Internet Anime Porn” Like ‘Dragon Ball Z’
- Dance Video of “Kaguya-sama”’s Chika Fujiwara Reaches 20 Million Views!