It’s another new year and still, Nintendo and The Pokemon Company’s Nintendo Switch hits Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield still remains number one on last week’s Japan Video Game rankings. The said ranks is carefully compiled by website Famitsu. Both games also top the previous video game rankings.
To date, the games have a total of 3,256,754 copies sold in Japan alone. Weekly copies sold last week were 71,695.
This has been followed by the popular Nintendo Switch fitness game Ring Fit Adventure at #2, then followed by Mojang’s popular video game Minecraft at #3. Minecraft was ported and released for the Nintendo Switch on June 21, 2018.
Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield were released worldwide on November 15. The two versions of the game will feature Pokemon from the Galar region, and players can choose one of the three basic starter Pokemon namely Gookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble. This is also the game where the Gigantamax forms are featured, in which Pikachu, Eevee, Meowth, Butterfree, Charizard, Alcremie, and Corviknight will be having their own, said forms in this game. Two legendary Pokemon will also be introduced.
Other features in the Pokemon Sword and Shield game include the Max Raid Battles, Dynamax, Gigantamax forms, the Battle Stadium, Poke Jobs, Pokemon Camp, and Surprise trades. This is the second Nintendo Switch game for the popular franchise.
The game has also announced expansion sets as well as a cloud-based Pokemon storage service (Pokemon Home).
Even before the release of the two games, people have already shared their frustration and disappointment over some Pokemon that are missing from the game. Fans say that this is saddening as people expected so much from the game’s developer Game Freak thinking that it would be better than its first Nintendo Switch games of the franchise, Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! which were based on the 1998 video game Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition.
The first Nintendo Switch games Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu, and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! was released in November 2018. The release of the games was a huge success as it had a record of more than 11.28 million combined sales as of September 2019. This huge number has made the games known as one of the best-selling games for the Nintendo Switch.
Here is the complete list of the video game rankings for the mentioned week, including the weekly and total sales so far.
|Rank||Title||Publisher||Release Date||Weekly Copies||Total Copies|
|1||Pokémon Sword & Shield||Nintendo||November 15, 2019||71,695||3,256,754|
|2||Ring Fit Adventure||Nintendo||October 18, 2019||21,498||547,569|
|3||Minecraft||Nintendo||June 21, 2018||15,845||1,208,747|
|4||Tōhoku Daigaku Reika Igaku Kenkyūjo Kawashima Ryūta Kyōji Kanshū Nō o Kitaeru Otona no Nintendo Switch Training||Nintendo||December 27, 2018||15,757||91,908|
|5||Super Smash Brothers Ultimate||Nintendo||December 7, 2018||14,129||3,510,455|
|6||Mario Kart 8 Deluxe||Nintendo||April 28, 2017||14,100||2,725,304|
|7||Luigi’s Mansion 3||Nintendo||October 31, 2019||11,639||570,071|
|8||Super Mario Party||Nintendo||October 5, 2018||9,560||1,311,173|
|9||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020||Sega||November 1, 2019||8,774||248,507|
|10||Splatoon 2||Nintendo||July 21, 2017||8,055||3,288,270|
|11||Super Mario Maker 2||Nintendo||June 28, 2019||6,336||834,218|
|12||Tsuri Spirits Nintendo Switch Version||Bandai Namco Entertainment||July 25, 2019||5,233||372,933|
|13||The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild||Nintendo||March 3, 2017||5,103||1,498,038|
|14||New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe||Nintendo||January 11, 2019||3,440||765,470|
|15||Super Robot Wars X||Bandai Namco Entertainment||Jan-10||3,439||3,439|
|16||Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age||Square Enix||September 27, 2019||3,183||474,855|
|17||Disney Tsum Tsum Festival||Bandai Namco Entertainment||October 10, 2019||3,177||145,659|
|18||Super Mario Odyssey||Nintendo||October 27, 2017||3,020||2,060,611|
|19||Taiko no Tatsujin Nintendo Switch Version!||Bandai Namco Entertainment||July 19, 2018||2,889||434,679|
|20||13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim||Atlus||November 28, 2019||2,856||53,352|
- ‘Kimetsu no Yaiba’ Manga has Conquered Japan’s Weekly Manga Top 19!
- English Dub Cast of ‘BEASTARS’ Anime Revealed!
- Tokyo Train Event of ‘Final Fantasy VII Remake’ is Cancelled Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus
- The Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX and HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Games are Released on Xbox One!
- There will “Likely” Be a Shortage of Nintendo Switch in U.S. and Europe Due to COVID-19
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Film Going Fast with Box Office Gross Now at $70 Million in Just 4 Days
- Funimation Streams English-Dubbed Trailer of “My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising” Anime Film
- “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2 to be Helmed by New Director & Studio, Set for October Release
- US and Canada Gets Theatrical Screenings for Daisuke Igarashi’s “Children of the Sea” Anime Film
- Yosuke Eguchi Returns to Play Hajime Saito + Mackenyu Joins Cast of Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin “Final Chapter” Films
- Promo Video, Preview of OP Song, New Visual Revealed for “My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU” Season 3
- 2nd Promo Video Released for New Anime Project for Boys-Love Series “Sekaiichi Hatsukoi”
- New Visual, Release Date Revealed for Upcoming Film for Musical Boys-Love Anime “given”
- New Trailer Released for Live-Action Film Adaptation of Boys-Love Manga “The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese”
- Promotional Video Released for Upcoming Baseball Girls Anime “Tamayomi”
- Sonic the Hedgehog Film’s USD 57 Million Opening Earnings Make it the Best Video Game Movie Debut Ever in US
- ‘Demon Slayer’ Volume 19 Manga is the 3rd Manga to Sell Over 1 Million Copies on its First Week
- ‘My Hero Academia’ Tops the U.S. Monthly Bookscan January List at #2!