Our favorite divinities are back in action, as a new promo video was released for the upcoming season 3 of the live-action TV series adaptation of Saint Young Men. Get to see Jesus and Buddha go to karaoke, bond under a kotatsu, and Jesus turn bottled water into bottled wine (with bread) in the trailer here!
The third season is set to premiere on January 11 & 18, 2020 on the NHK channel. Five episodes will be aired each day, bringing the third season to a total of 10 episodes.
In addition, the website also announced that the second half of Saint Young Men’s season 2 will be aired on January 25. This is to make up for the cancellation of the second half’s airing due to typhoon Hagibis, as it was initially announced to be aired on October 12 last year.
Main cast members Ken’ichi Matsuyama (live-action Death Note) and Shota Sometani (live-action Parasyte) are set to reprise their roles as Jesus Christ and Buddha, respectively. Yuichi Fukuda (live-action Gintama) is still directing the series and penning the script.
The first and second season (1st half) were streamed online on Kakao Japan’s streaming service Piccoma TV. Season 2 was also screened in select theaters on June 6, 2019.
Saint Young Men is written and illustrated by Hikaru Nakamura and is serialized by Kodansha in the seinen magazine Morning 2. A-1 Pictures adapted it into two original animation DVDs and an animated film which premiered on May 2013. Nakamura’s slice of life comedy imagines Jesus Christ and Buddha, founders of two of the biggest world religions, as roommates. The series imagines how these two major religious figures would react to modern society in Japan and shows their daily life in their small apartment in Tokyo.
The series received an anime film adaptation which premiered on May 2013. The manga also won the Short Story award at the 13th Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize in 2009, and was also nominated for a Manga Taisho award that year.
Source: Anime News Network
- Netflix Finally Adds Last 41 Episodes of 1986 “Saint Seiya” Anime Series with New English Dub and Subs
- Additional Cast, Run Dates Revealed for “Fire Force” Stage Play
- Boys-Love Anime “given” Gets Stage Play Adaptation, Stage Actors to Actually Play Instruments On-Stage
- 100-second OP Movie Released for “Argonavis from BanG Dream!” TV Anime
- Theatrical Opening of “Violet Evergarden” Movie Postponed Due to COVID-19
- Japan’s King of Love Songs Returns to Sing Opening Theme Song of “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” Season 2
- Mystery Man in Japan Naming Himself as ‘Inosuke’ Donated Masks and Alcohol to Nursing Home
- Yen Press Announces Delays of Both Manga and Novel Releases Until September
- ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ Tops Japanese Video Game Rankings…AGAIN!
- Crunchyroll to Add ‘Princess Connect!’, ‘Dropkick on My Devil!! Dash’, and More to Streaming Library
- ‘Tiger & Bunny’ Anime is Finally Getting a Second Season!
- ‘Tokyo Mew Mew’ Manga is Getting A New Anime!
- Release of 1st of Six “Princess Principal” Sequel Films Delayed Due to COVID-19
- Season 5 Confirmed for “My Hero Academia”
- Funimation Adds “Kingdom” Season 3 to its Spring Season Lineup for US, Canada, UK, and Ireland
- Additional Cast, Staff, and September 11 Premier Revealed for “Umibe no Étranger” Boys-Love Film
- KONOSUBA Light Novel Series Set to End With 17th Volume to be Released this May
- New Promo Video Released for “Strike the Blood IV” OVA Series