A new trailer for Makoto Shinkai’s anime film Weathering With You was released on GKIDS’ official YouTube channel on Monday. You may watch the trailer here. The film will be screen by Fathom Even on January 15 and 16. The said screening days will be a “Special Fan Preview” which will have exclusive bonus content before GKIDS officially opens the film to North America on January 17, in both Japanese (with English subtitles) and in English dub.
This specific trailer revealed the official English Dub for the movie. Below contains the complete main voice cast:
Brandon Engman as Hodaka
Ashley Boettcher as Hina
Lee Pace as Suga
Alison Brie as Natsumi
Emeka Guindo as Nagi
Riz Ahmed as Takai
Vinnie Penna as Kimura
Mike Pollock as Yasui
Barbara Goodson as Tachibana
Weathering with You premiered in Japan on July 19, 2019 and immediately conquered box office charts in its first three days, earning US$15.22 million. It had a special North American premiere during the Toronto International Film Festival as part of its Special Presentations Category with screenings on September 8, 10, 14. Weathering With You was submitted for consideration for the Best International Feature Film category for the 92nd Academy Awards. It was announced that the film would have its official North America opening on January 17. The film was also screened in Anime NYC last November.
The film won the Best Animated Feature Film award during the 13th Asia Pacific Awards last year, which was held in Brisbane, Australia. The other nominees in the said category were the following: Penguin Highway by Hiroyasu Ishida, Mosley by Kirby Atkins, Underdog by Oh Sung Yoon, and The Unseen by Behzad Nalbhadi.
Here is a synopsis about the film as described by GKIDS:
The summer of his high school freshman year, Hodaka runs away from his remote island home to Tokyo, and quickly finds himself pushed to his financial and personal limits. The weather is unusually gloomy and rainy every day, as if to suggest his future. He lives his days in isolation, but finally finds work as a writer for a mysterious occult magazine. Then one day, Hodaka meets Hina on a busy street corner. This bright and strongwilled girl possesses a strange and wonderful ability: the power to stop the rain and clear the sky…
Recently, the nine categories of the 92nd Academy Awards were announced by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Sadly, Weathering With You did not make it to the shortlist for the Best International Feature Film Category (which is also knowns as the Best International Feature Film category until this year).
Although this seems to be a bit of bad news, there is still hope as the movie is still eligible for Best Animated Feature. Last December 5, the film had its Oscar-qualifying run in Santa Monica, and the movie was screened for one week in the Monica Film Center.
This isn’t the first time that an anime film was nominated in the Oscars. In fact, Hayao Miyazaki’s animated movie masterpiece Princess Mononoke was nominated for the Oscars and was part of the same shortlist category back in 1998.
Aside from Weathering with You, the live-action Hollywood film adaptation of Alita: Battle Angel was nominated and made it to the shortlist for the Visual Effects category.
Weathering With You have not only topped the box office worldwide but has also made it as one of the most top sell-selling light novels in Japan by volume this year. According to the Oricon’s overall bunko ranking chart, the Weathering With You novel sold around 511, 159 copies in Japan alone. This is the second time that Shinkai has topped the charts in this category, with his first one being the your name. novel that was released three years ago.
Aside from the light novel version, the children’s book version of Weathering With You has also ranked in #1 in the children’s book category last Summer.
It’s no surprise that Makoto Shinkai’s Weathering With You is at number 1 in the Japanese Box Office last year. It beat the over-all Japanese gross sales of other anime films like Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire and One Piece Stampede.
A few weeks ago, the Japanese film news website Cinema Today released a list of the 10 highest earning films this year. The 2019 Japanese box office consists of two live-action films and six animated films.
Below reveals the complete list:
1. Weathering With You (14.02 billion yen, about US$129 million, amount as of December 8 2019)
2. Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (9.37 billion yen, about US$86.2 million)
3. Kingdom (5.73 billion yen, about US$52.7 million)
4. One Piece Stampede (5.53 billion yen, about US$50.9 million)
5. Doraemon the Movie: Nobita’s Chronicle of the Moon Exploration (5.01 billion yen, about US$46.1 million)
6. Masquerade Hotel (4.64 billion yen, about US$42.7 million)
7. Dragon Ball Super: Broly (4 billion yen, about US$36.8 million, opened in Japan on December 13, 2018)
8. Tonde Saitama (3.76 billion yen, about US$34.6 million)
9. Kioku ni Gozaimasen! (3.6 billion yen, about US$33.1 million, amount as of December 8)
10. Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (2.98 billion yen, about US$27.4 million)
Cosplay Mistakes to Avoid – Part 1 Jan 17, 9amWe are back again with another round-up of these kinds of guides to help beginner con attendees and cosplayers on their first convention. As observed, there are some cosplayers who make mistakes during the event.
- Love Live! Franchise Announces New Project, Details to be Revealed on January 30
- Fruits Basket Season 2 Set for a Spring 2020 Premiere!
- Cosplay Mistakes to Avoid – Part 1
- ‘Pokemon Sword and Shield’ Still Top the First Weeks of 2020 Japan Video Game Rankings
- ‘Weathering With You’ Conquers U.S. Box Office at #2!
- Supernatural Boys-Love Manga “The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window” Gets Live-Action Film Adaptation
- “Whisper of the Heart” Manga Gets Live-Action Film Adaptation
- Select US Theaters List Anime Film “Ride Your Wave” as Showing on February 19
- New Main Visual for 24th Detective Conan Movie Features Akai Family
- Animated Promo Video Released for “Cells at Work! Black” Manga
- 1st Teaser Trailer Revealed for Live-Action Film Adaptation of Boys-Love Manga “Love Stage!!”
- Violet Evergarden Side-Story “Eternity and Auto Memories Doll” Gets Theatrical US Screenings
- Atlus Releases Opening Video for “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers”
- Square Enix Delays Final Fantasy VII Remake Release to April 10
- Konomi Suzuki, nonoc Return to Sing Theme Songs for Re:ZERO Season 2
- BEASTARS to be Available in Netflix Outside Japan on March 13!
- ‘Detective Conan’ Characters Step Into the Real World in New ‘Universal Cool Japan’ Ad
- New ‘Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru’ Story in the Works