It will be remembered that just this Monday, publisher Shueisha announced that Eiichiro Oda’s One Piece is their best-selling manga title for 2019, with Koyoharu Gotouge’s Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba as a close second. Another bestseller list, however, says otherwise: it was Demon Slayer that was actually the highest-selling manga for 2019 (for the period of November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019)!
This was the pronouncement from Oricon, a company that specializes in compiling sales data for the music and book industry in Japan. According to their just-released book rankings for 2019, Demon Slayer sold a total of 12, 057, 628, besting One Piece’s 10, 134, 232. That’s quite a huge difference from the sales numbers released by Shueisha early this week, which stated that Demon Slayer sold a total of 10.8 million copies and One Piece sold 12.7 million. (Note that Shueisha’s numbers were collected from November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019.)
If we are to go by Oricon’s figures, then that means that Demon Slayer has just taken the number 1 position from One Piece, which held that ranking for 11 consecutive years since 2008. What an achievement!
On the other hand, last year’s second best-selling series, Kohei Horikoshi’s My Hero Academia plunged to sixth place, as its yearly sales went down from 6, 718, 185 in 2018 to 5, 047, 574 this 2019.
Top-seller Demon Slayer is a new entry in the top 10 list, along with Negi Haruba’s Quintessential Quintuplets which placed 5th and Aka Akasaka’s Kaguya-sama: Love is War which ranked 9th.
Here is the complete top ten list. Do you spot your favorites in the rankings?
- 10,134,232 (8,113,317 in 2018)
- 7,661,361 (4,970,171)
- 7,454,745 (4,246,955)
" - 5,895,000
- 5,047,574 (6,718,185)
- 4,704,234 (5,235,963)
- 4,514,838 (5,030,624)
- 3,414,482 (3,460,066)
Source: Crunchyroll News
English Trailer Revealed for Persona 5 RoyalJan 29, 5amYes, yes, we know that Japanese-dubbed-English-subbed videos aren’t for everyone, so Atlus has a treat for you. This Tuesday they released an English-dubbed trailer for the much-awaited Persona 5 Royal.
- February 25 US Screening Announced for Love Live! Fest Concert
- New Trailer Reveals April 10 Premiere of Anime Series for BanG Dream!’s All-Male Band Argonavis
- English Trailer Revealed for Persona 5 Royal
- “Steins;Gate” Gets Hollywood Live-Action Series from Producer of “Altered Carbon”, “Jack Ryan” Series
- 3rd Season of “My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU” Set for an April 9 Premiere
- New “Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045” Trailer Reveals April Release, Cast Members
- New “Higurashi: When They Cry” Anime Project Announced, Original Cast Set to Return
- 2nd Promo Video for “My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!” Reveals More Cast, Ending Song Artist
- Live-Action Film of Boys-Love Manga “The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese” Set for a June 2020 Release
- Revue Starlight Compilation Film Set for A May 29 Premiere in Japan
- Netflix Reveals Promotional Video for Second Part of Saint Seiya 3DCG Remake
- Log Horizon Season 3 to Premiere this October
- LiSA Announces Marriage with Voice Actor Tatsuhisa Suzuki
- New ‘My Hero Academia’ Video Gives a Sneak Peek in School Festival Arc
- A Sneak-Peek into Japan’s ‘Attack on Titan XR’ Ride
- Kingdom Hearts “Project Xehanort” for Smartphones Unveiled by Square Enix.
- ‘Beastars’ Manga Creator Hints that the Series is Ending
- Actor Taishi Nakagawa to Voice Sonic in ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Japanese Dub