It will be remembered that just this Monday, publisher Shueisha announced that Eiichiro Oda’s One Piece is their best-selling manga title for 2019, with Koyoharu Gotouge’s Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba as a close second. Another bestseller list, however, says otherwise: it was Demon Slayer that was actually the highest-selling manga for 2019 (for the period of November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019)!
This was the pronouncement from Oricon, a company that specializes in compiling sales data for the music and book industry in Japan. According to their just-released book rankings for 2019, Demon Slayer sold a total of 12, 057, 628, besting One Piece’s 10, 134, 232. That’s quite a huge difference from the sales numbers released by Shueisha early this week, which stated that Demon Slayer sold a total of 10.8 million copies and One Piece sold 12.7 million. (Note that Shueisha’s numbers were collected from November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019.)
If we are to go by Oricon’s figures, then that means that Demon Slayer has just taken the number 1 position from One Piece, which held that ranking for 11 consecutive years since 2008. What an achievement!
On the other hand, last year’s second best-selling series, Kohei Horikoshi’s My Hero Academia plunged to sixth place, as its yearly sales went down from 6, 718, 185 in 2018 to 5, 047, 574 this 2019.
Top-seller Demon Slayer is a new entry in the top 10 list, along with Negi Haruba’s Quintessential Quintuplets which placed 5th and Aka Akasaka’s Kaguya-sama: Love is War which ranked 9th.
Here is the complete top ten list. Do you spot your favorites in the rankings?
- 10,134,232 (8,113,317 in 2018)
- 7,661,361 (4,970,171)
- 7,454,745 (4,246,955)
" - 5,895,000
- 5,047,574 (6,718,185)
- 4,704,234 (5,235,963)
- 4,514,838 (5,030,624)
- 3,414,482 (3,460,066)
Source: Crunchyroll News
Trailer Unveils October Premiere, More Cast & Staff for “Iwa-Kakeru! Sports Climbing Girls” TV AnimeJul 27, 5am
The Strawbellbell from ‘Tokyo Mew Mew’ is On Sale to Celebrate the Series’ 20th AnniversaryJul 24, 12pm
Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song DownloadsJul 29, 4am
Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” FilmAug 3, 5am
Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers” Jul 28, 5am
- Shonen Jump Teases that One Piece is Entering its “Upcoming Final Arc”
- Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” Film
- “Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train” Reveals New Full Trailer, Theme Song by LiSA
- New Visual and October 2 Premiere Revealed for “TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You”
- Goro Miyazaki is in Full Confidence on the Success of ‘Earwig and the Witch’ CG Film
- A Florida Congressman Warns Citizens About “Internet Anime Porn” Like ‘Dragon Ball Z’
- Dance Video of “Kaguya-sama”’s Chika Fujiwara Reaches 20 Million Views!
- Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song Downloads
- Opening Movie for Re:ZERO Smartphone Game Released
- Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers”
- Toonami Set to Debut “Fire Force” Season 2 on October 24
- Boys-Love Film “Umibe no Étranger” Theme Song to be Sung by MONO NO AWARE Band
- Bushiroad’s “D4DJ” TV Anime Series Releases New Teaser Visual
- “Irregular at Magic High School” Novel Series Set to Receive Two Sequel Novels!
- Trailer Unveils October Premiere, More Cast & Staff for “Iwa-Kakeru! Sports Climbing Girls” TV Anime
- English Dub Cast Revealed for “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” Season 2
- Premium Bandai is Releasing A ‘Naruto’ Figure with His Original Goggles
- The Strawbellbell from ‘Tokyo Mew Mew’ is On Sale to Celebrate the Series’ 20th Anniversary