It will be remembered that just this Monday, publisher Shueisha announced that Eiichiro Oda’s One Piece is their best-selling manga title for 2019, with Koyoharu Gotouge’s Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba as a close second. Another bestseller list, however, says otherwise: it was Demon Slayer that was actually the highest-selling manga for 2019 (for the period of November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019)!
This was the pronouncement from Oricon, a company that specializes in compiling sales data for the music and book industry in Japan. According to their just-released book rankings for 2019, Demon Slayer sold a total of 12, 057, 628, besting One Piece’s 10, 134, 232. That’s quite a huge difference from the sales numbers released by Shueisha early this week, which stated that Demon Slayer sold a total of 10.8 million copies and One Piece sold 12.7 million. (Note that Shueisha’s numbers were collected from November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019.)
If we are to go by Oricon’s figures, then that means that Demon Slayer has just taken the number 1 position from One Piece, which held that ranking for 11 consecutive years since 2008. What an achievement!
On the other hand, last year’s second best-selling series, Kohei Horikoshi’s My Hero Academia plunged to sixth place, as its yearly sales went down from 6, 718, 185 in 2018 to 5, 047, 574 this 2019.
Top-seller Demon Slayer is a new entry in the top 10 list, along with Negi Haruba’s Quintessential Quintuplets which placed 5th and Aka Akasaka’s Kaguya-sama: Love is War which ranked 9th.
Here is the complete top ten list. Do you spot your favorites in the rankings?
- 10,134,232 (8,113,317 in 2018)
- 7,661,361 (4,970,171)
- 7,454,745 (4,246,955)
" - 5,895,000
- 5,047,574 (6,718,185)
- 4,704,234 (5,235,963)
- 4,514,838 (5,030,624)
- 3,414,482 (3,460,066)
Source: Crunchyroll News
- New Cast Members Announced for “Digimon Adventure: The Last Evolution Kizuna” Movie
- “Quintessential Quintuplets” Manga Set to End in 14th Volume
- Teaser Trailer and Main Visual Released for 24th Detective Conan Film, “The Scarlet Bullet”
- "Assault Lily Bouquet" Announces July 2020 Premiere, BanG Dream!’s RAISE A SUILEN As OP Song Artists
- New PV for “The Case Files of Jeweler Richard” Previews OP Song, Reveals January 9 Premiere
- Persona 5 Royal Set for A March 31, 2020 Release in the West
- Bandai is Releasing A Real-Life ‘Pot of Greed’ From Yu-Gi-Oh!
- January 11 Premiere, Episode 1 Synopsis Revealed for TV Anime of Idol Project “22/7”
- Haikyuu! Season 4 Reveals New PV, Confirmed for a January 10, 2020 Release
- New PV Reveals January 4 Premiere of “Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side-Story”
- New Teaser Video Reveals January 23 Premiere of BanG Dream! Season 3
- The Creator of ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ and ‘Silver Spoon’ is Working on a New Story
- “Wasteful Days of High School Girl” Manga Gets a Live-Action Adaptation
- RADWIMPS Releases English Version of “Weathering With You” Song, Also Set to Perform on Kohaku Uta Gassen
- Oricon Proclaims Demon Slayer as 2019’s Best-Selling Manga, Besting One Piece
- Yuri Manga “Bloom Into You” Now Has One Million Copies in Print!
- ‘Tokyo Mew Mew’ Manga Returns Next Year, but with Male Lead Characters
- ‘Weathering With You’ Novel Tops Japanese Light Novel Sales This Year