2019 is a good year for Koyoharu Gotouge’s Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. Besides its anime adaptation being a resounding success, the manga was also recently announced to be a bestseller as well! Manga publisher Shueisha announced this Monday that Gotouge’s epic tale of the Kamado siblings has recently become the company’s second highest-selling manga for 2019.
According to their announcement, Demon Slayer sold 10.8 million volumes from the period of November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019—second only to Eiichiro Oda’s One Piece. The latter sold 12.7 million volumes in the same period of time.
This September, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba was announced to have a stage play adaptation next year. The adaptation will run in January in Tokyo and Hyogo prefecture. Kenichi Suemitsu, who wrote the script for the 2017 anime series Ballroom e Youkoso! (Welcome to the Ballroom), is set to write the script and direct the play. Music composition will be done by Shunsuke Wada.
A sequel film was also green-lit for the franchise. The film will be entitled Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-Hen (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba: Demon Train Arc).
The TV series’ cast and staff will be returning to the movie. Haruo Sotozaki (Tales of Zestiria the X) will be directing the film, while Akira Matsushima (Maria Watches Over Us) will still be in charge of character design. The film will still be animated and produced by studio ufotable.
Main cast Natsuki Hanae, Akari Kito, Hiro Shimono, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, and Satoshi Hino will still be voicing their characters (best boi) Tanjiro, (best imouto) Nezuko, (french fries-haired) Zenitsu, Inosuke, and Kyojuro, respectively.
The manga’s story is described by Anime News Network as such:
“Since ancient times, rumors have abounded of man-eating demons lurking in the woods. Because of this, the local townsfolk never venture outside at night. Legend has it that a demon slayer also roams the night, hunting down these bloodthirsty demons. For young Tanjiro, these rumors will soon to become his harsh reality. Ever since the death of his father, Tanjiro has taken it upon himself to support his family. Although their lives may be hardened by tragedy, they’ve found happiness. But that ephemeral warmth is shattered one day when Tanjiro finds his family slaughtered and the lone survivor, his sister Nezuko, turned into a demon. To his surprise, however, Nezuko still shows signs of human emotion and thought. Thus begins Tanjiro’s request to fight demons and turn his sister human again.”
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is a shonen manga series written by Koyoharu Gotoge. It was first published in February 2016 in Weekly Shonen Jump up to present, with Shueisha publishing the series’ 16 tankobon volumes. The manga’s English license is currently held by Viz Media.
Source: Anime News Network
Character Trailer Revealed for TV Anime Adaptation of Yongje Park Manhwa “The God of High School” May 28, 6am
Non Non Biyori Season 3 Reveals 1st Key Visual, January 2021 Premiere, Official Title, Returning Cast & StaffMay 26, 6am
English-Subbed Trailer Released for Fire Force Season 2, Opening Theme Song “SPARK-AGAIN” PreviewedMay 26, 6am
- ‘Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma’ Season Five Anime Returns on July 3!
- Osamu Tezuka’s Anime Classics will be Available for Streaming in June
- Promo Video for Final Season of ‘Attack on Titan’ Anime Reveals New Staff of MAPPA
- Hooo…WHO?! ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ Reigns and Still Number 1 in Japan’s Video Game Rankings
- Gotta Go Fast…Again!: ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Film is Getting a Sequel
- “Fire Force” Season 2 Ending Theme Song to be Sung by Rock Band Cider Girl
- “Quintessential Quintuplets” Gets Smartphone Puzzle Game This Year
- Character Trailer Revealed for TV Anime Adaptation of Yongje Park Manhwa “The God of High School”
- Live-Action “Rurouni Kenshin” Films Delayed to Spring 2021 Due to COVID-19
- Smartphone Game Announced for “Saga of Tanya the Evil”
- Kyoto Animation Arson Suspect Finally Arrested After 10 Months of Treatment
- Non Non Biyori Season 3 Reveals 1st Key Visual, January 2021 Premiere, Official Title, Returning Cast & Staff
- Re:ZERO Smartphone Game Reveals Title and Summer 2020 Release in New Teaser Video
- “Jujutsu Kaisen” TV Anime Adaptation Reveals First Key Visual
- English-Subbed Trailer Released for Fire Force Season 2, Opening Theme Song “SPARK-AGAIN” Previewed
- US Customs Seized a Massive 86,000 of ‘Pokemon’ Bootleg Figures
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons Remains Supreme at #1 in Recent Video Game Rankings
- Funimation is Streaming the ‘One Piece Stampede’ Film for 60 Days