“One Liter of Tears” Actress Erika Sawajiri Arrested for Illegal Drugs, Admits to be Using Them For 10 Years
Several news outlets reported that famous TV and movie actress Erika Sawajiri was arrested Saturday after being found in possession of illegal drugs. According to reports, the Metropolitan Police Department received a tip that Sawajiri was keeping drugs in her home. A subsequent raid into her Tokyo home revealed that she had 0.09 grams of synthetic drug MDMA, more commonly known as ecstasy.
Reports noted that Sawajiri was cooperative throughout the investigation, with police quoting her as saying, “There is no mistake, that is mine” when asked about the MDMA.
Besides taking MDMA, the actress also admitted that she has been taking other illegal narcotics since 10 years ago. According to police, the actress admitted to using marijuana, LSD, and cocaine, and was even quoted as saying, “Every time a famous person was arrested over drugs, I told myself to be careful because I might be in danger too.”
After the raid, she spent the night at a police station in Koto Ward and was then turned over to prosecutors the next day, Sunday. Reporters and photographers tried to catch a glimpse of the actress but the backseat of the vehicle she was in was curtained off. Police are also currently analyzing her cellphone in the hopes of tracing where she got her illegal drugs.
Erika Sawajiri first debuted as an idol in 1999 at 13 years old. She launched her career as an actress in 2002 and started modeling as a gravure idol as well. Several TV roles followed, but it was her role as Aya Ikeuchi in the 2005 television series One Liter of Tears that served as her biggest role yet. Besides being a huge success in its home country Japan, One Liter of Tears also enjoyed success in other Asian countries and made Sawajiri’s name known to international viewers. The staff of her latest TV project which will be airing next year, Kirin ga Kuru, has not released any statement yet on their actions regarding Sawajiri’s arrest.
Japan has had a hardline stance on illegal drugs for years, with celebrities arrested for illegal drugs commonly edited out from their movies and TV shows.
Source: The Mainichi
Japanese VAs Announce their Marriages: Kana Hanazawa & Kensho Ono, Nana Mizuki, Kenjiro Tsuda Jul 8, 5am
GKIDS Acquires Studio Ghibli’s First 3DCG Film “Earwig and the Witch”, Set for 2021 N. American Release Jul 8, 4am
After Delay Due to COVID-19, Third and Final “Fate/stay night: Heaven’s Feel” Film Set for August 15 ReleaseJul 1, 5am
Sunrise Files Trademark for “Love Live! Superstar”; Fans Speculate That This Could Be New Series’ TitleJul 2, 5am
After COVID-19 Delay, New “Higurashi When They Cry” Anime Project Now Slated For October 2020 ReleaseJul 7, 5am
Netflix’s Live-Action Adaptation of “Cowboy Bebop” Gets Green Light to Film Again in New ZealandJul 6, 5am
- The End is Near for “Haikyuu!” As Manga Enters “Climax” of Final Arc
- Japanese VAs Announce their Marriages: Kana Hanazawa & Kensho Ono, Nana Mizuki, Kenjiro Tsuda
- GKIDS Acquires Studio Ghibli’s First 3DCG Film “Earwig and the Witch”, Set for 2021 N. American Release
- “Ahiru no Sora” Manga Author Expresses Dislike for Anime Adaptation of His Series
- After COVID-19 Delay, New “Higurashi When They Cry” Anime Project Now Slated For October 2020 Release
- New Teaser Video for Live-Action “Kiss Him, Not Me” Film Focuses on Asuma Mutsumi
- Bushiroad’s “D4DJ Groovy Mix” Rhythm Game Gets Global Release
- Netflix’s Live-Action Adaptation of “Cowboy Bebop” Gets Green Light to Film Again in New Zealand
- Promo Video, Key Visual, New Cast Members Revealed for “Cells at Work” Anime Film
- The Latest Summer Update Patch for ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ is Now Available!
- Ghibli Museum to Slowly Reopen to the Public in September
- ‘Dr. Stone’ Season 2 to Air in January 2021, New Trailer Teases ‘Stone Wars’ Arc
- New Trailer Featuring 2nd Half of ‘Fruits Basket’ Season 2 Released!
- Seven Seas Announces Licenses to New Manga and Light Novel Series Titles!
- More Anime Nostalgia Incoming as RetroCrush Adds 10 Anime Titles to Growing Library
- New Promo Video Teases Return of “The Millionaire Detective – Balance: UNLIMITED”
- Sunrise Files Trademark for “Love Live! Superstar”; Fans Speculate That This Could Be New Series’ Title
- New Teaser Clip Released for Netflix’s Live-Action “JU-ON: Origins”