Unfortunate news for those waiting for the live-action Cowboy Bebop: Netflix has announced last Saturday that production for their live-action adaptation of Bebop will be put on hold after a “freak accident” on set left lead star John Cho injured.
According to the streaming company’s statement, the accident occurred “on the last take of a routine and well-rehearsed scene” almost two weeks ago. Cho sustained knee injury which requires surgery and extensive rehabilitation, and he has been flown back to the United States to recuperate fully.
While it is an option to recast the role as they had started filming ahead of schedule, Netflix is apparently set on Cho for the title role and are willing to wait for him to fully heal. As such, production for Bebop will be shuttered for 7-9 months and could possibly resume by late spring/early summer.
After news of his injury broke out, Cho posted an update on Instagram, thanking fans and well-wishers. He also promised to be “back and flowing in no time”, referencing a Bruce Lee quote that he also captioned to his post. You can see the post here.
Besides Cho, Bebop also stars Mustafa Shakir as Spike’s partner Jet Black, Daniella Pineda as amnesiac con-artist Faye Valentine, Elena Satine as Spike’s lover Julia, and Alex Hassell as Vicious, Spike’s best-friend-turned-mortal-enemy.
Alex Garcia Lopez, who directed Daredevil and The Witcher, is on board to direct the first two episodes of Bebop. Described by Netflix as a “Live-action TV drama”, Cowboy Bebop is slated to run for 10 episodes. No release date has been announced yet.
The live-action adaptation is a co-production between Netflix and Tomorrow Studios, which is a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Teen Wolf, Prison Break) and British production company ITV Studios. The original anime’s director, Shinichi Watanabe, will be serving as consultant for the Netflix adaptation. Key staff from Sunrise, the anime studio that produced the original series, will also be serving as the show’s executive producers along with other Western producers.
Cowboy Bebop follows the story of Spike Spiegel and his crew aboard the spaceship Bebop. The series is mostly about their crew’s adventures in hunting down space criminals and turning them in for a reward. The story’s main conflict, however, centers on the rivalry between Spike and his former best friend Vicious, with the former seeking to avenge the death of the woman he loved.
Attending Your First Convention – Dos and Don’tsNov 14, 10pmThis week, I have decided to write about things that may be essential for those who are first-timers in attending anime and hobby conventions. Even as 2019 is almost ending, it is expected that a few conventions might be happening in your state or in the city next to you very soon.
Beginner’s Guide to Starting CosplayersNov 15, 12amCosplay is just one awesome way to express your love for a certain character from any series or franchise. Some have been in this hobby for years, while there is still a lot still finding the right timing to start out and just have fun in a convention or photoshoot.
- New Trailer for Live-Action “Hell Girl” Film Compares Scenes from the Anime & Film
- LiSA Set to Make Her Kohaku Uta Gassen Debut on December 31
- ‘Monster Hunter’ VR Hunt and ‘Attack on Titan’ Roller Coaster to Open at Universal Studios Japan!
- Beginner’s Guide to Starting Cosplayers
- Editor of ‘One Piece’ Confirms on Creator’s Statement of Manga Ending in 5 Years
- Attending Your First Convention – Dos and Don’ts
- “One Piece Stampede” Film’s English Dub Cast Revealed to Have Been Chosen by Author Eiichiro Oda Himself
- Anime NYC to Screen 1st Two Episodes of “Magia Record”, Madoka VA & SHAFT President Set to Attend
- New Color Visual, Spring 2020 Premiere Revealed for Upcoming Film for Boys-Love Anime “Given”
- The ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Redesign is an Example That Fan Feedback Matters
- New Main Visual & Teaser Video Revealed for Kimetsu no Yaiba Stage Play
- Summer 2020 Premiere of New “Free!” Movie Delayed Indefinitely
- New Trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Finally Debuts Sonic Redesign
- Meeting Your Idol for the First Time – Dos and Don’ts
- New Details Including Spring 2020 Premiere Revealed for “My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU” Season 3
- Kyoto Animation Reschedules Premiere of Violet Evergarden Movie to April 24
- February Theatrical Screenings & Theme Song Artist Announced for New “Sekaiichi Hatsukoi” Anime
- Katsuki Bakugo Voice Actor Nobuhiko Okamoto Joins Cast of “Cooking Master Boy” Remake