And in this round, both Kaguya and Shirogane win!, as it was reported that the live-action film adaptation of romcom manga and anime Kaguya-sama: Love is War has just surpassed 2 billion yen in ticket sales! Six weeks into its release, the film has also managed to stay in the Japanese box office top 10.
This is also the most successful film of director Hayato Kawai to date. To refresh your memory, he also directed the live-action adaptation of
waifu wars anime Nisekoi but unlike its highly-successful anime counterpart, the live-action film flopped and tanked in the box office, earning only 520 million yen. The film also cast a Johnny & Associates male idol, Kento Nakajima. With Kaguya-sama, however, fellow J&A idol Sho Hirano of King & Prince—who played Shirogane—appears to have been successful in his movie venture. Better luck next time, Nakajima-san.
On the other hand, student council vice-president and Shirogane’s love interest/eternal rival Kaguya Shinomiya is played by Gintama live-action actress Kanna Hashimoto.
Script for the movie was written by Yuichi Tokunaga, who also handled the scripts for the live-action of Tonde Saitama and Princess Jellyfish series.
Kaguya-sama: Love is War (or known in Japan as Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai – Tensai-tachi no Ren’ai Zunousen, literally, “Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to: The Geniuses’ War of Love and Brains”) is a seinen manga series written and illustrated by Aka Akasaka. The English licensing rights to the series is held by Viz Media, who describes the manga’s story as such:
”All’s fair when love is war!
Two geniuses. Two brains. Two hearts. One battle. Who will confess their love first…?
Kaguya Shinomiya and Miyuki Shirogane are two geniuses who stand atop their prestigious academy’s student council, making them the elite among elite. But it’s lonely at the top and each has fallen for the other. There’s just one huge problem standing in the way of lovey-dovey bliss—they’re both too prideful to be the first to confess their romantic feelings and thus become the “loser” in the competition of love! And so begins their daily schemes to force the other to confess first!”
Source: Crunchyroll News
- ‘Kimetsu no Yaiba’ Manga has Conquered Japan’s Weekly Manga Top 19!
- English Dub Cast of ‘BEASTARS’ Anime Revealed!
- Tokyo Train Event of ‘Final Fantasy VII Remake’ is Cancelled Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus
- The Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX and HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Games are Released on Xbox One!
- There will “Likely” Be a Shortage of Nintendo Switch in U.S. and Europe Due to COVID-19
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Film Going Fast with Box Office Gross Now at $70 Million in Just 4 Days
- Funimation Streams English-Dubbed Trailer of “My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising” Anime Film
- “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2 to be Helmed by New Director & Studio, Set for October Release
- US and Canada Gets Theatrical Screenings for Daisuke Igarashi’s “Children of the Sea” Anime Film
- Yosuke Eguchi Returns to Play Hajime Saito + Mackenyu Joins Cast of Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin “Final Chapter” Films
- Promo Video, Preview of OP Song, New Visual Revealed for “My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU” Season 3
- 2nd Promo Video Released for New Anime Project for Boys-Love Series “Sekaiichi Hatsukoi”
- New Visual, Release Date Revealed for Upcoming Film for Musical Boys-Love Anime “given”
- New Trailer Released for Live-Action Film Adaptation of Boys-Love Manga “The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese”
- Promotional Video Released for Upcoming Baseball Girls Anime “Tamayomi”
- Sonic the Hedgehog Film’s USD 57 Million Opening Earnings Make it the Best Video Game Movie Debut Ever in US
- ‘Demon Slayer’ Volume 19 Manga is the 3rd Manga to Sell Over 1 Million Copies on its First Week
- ‘My Hero Academia’ Tops the U.S. Monthly Bookscan January List at #2!