The One Piece manga has already been running for like forever, so much so that we can’t imagine a world without it (okay, I exaggerate, but you get the idea). Well then, how about this: One Piece will finally be over after five years. What do you say to that? You scoff, my friend, but that is what the author himself Eiichiro Oda has visualized for his legendary work.
He stated this in a rare interview that he granted to Japanese Youtuber collective Fischer’s, who conducted the interview in his home. When Fischer member Ndaho asked the author, “About how long will the One Piece [story] keep going?”, Oda quickly answered, “I want to end it in five years.” In a previous separate interview with Fuji TV’s Honma deka!? last January, Oda has also stated that he only plans for the manga to have “just over 100 volumes” and that he had already thought of the manga’s ending since he was in college.
One Piece was first released in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in July 22, 1997. The manga follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy who gained the ability of stretching his body like rubber after accidentally eating a Devil Fruit. Together with his band of pirates named the Straw Hat Pirates, he explores the Grand Line in search of the “One Piece”, hailed as the greatest treasure in the world and the key to become the next Pirate King. Since its publication, Oda’s magnum opus has enjoyed critical and commercial success in Japan and abroad, even setting a Guinness World Record in 2015 for “most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author”. In 1999, Toei Animation has adapted his work into a TV anime and has been running ever since, enjoying great popularity as well.
Source: Anime News Network
Trailer Unveils October Premiere, More Cast & Staff for “Iwa-Kakeru! Sports Climbing Girls” TV AnimeJul 27, 5am
The Strawbellbell from ‘Tokyo Mew Mew’ is On Sale to Celebrate the Series’ 20th AnniversaryJul 24, 12pm
Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song DownloadsJul 29, 4am
Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” FilmAug 3, 5am
Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers” Jul 28, 5am
- Shonen Jump Teases that One Piece is Entering its “Upcoming Final Arc”
- Anime Short About Platelets to be Shown Alongside Theatrical Screenings of “Cells at Work!” Film
- “Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train” Reveals New Full Trailer, Theme Song by LiSA
- New Visual and October 2 Premiere Revealed for “TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You”
- Goro Miyazaki is in Full Confidence on the Success of ‘Earwig and the Witch’ CG Film
- A Florida Congressman Warns Citizens About “Internet Anime Porn” Like ‘Dragon Ball Z’
- Dance Video of “Kaguya-sama”’s Chika Fujiwara Reaches 20 Million Views!
- Demon Slayer Song “Gurenge” Makes LiSA First Female Japanese Artist to Get 1 Million Song Downloads
- Opening Movie for Re:ZERO Smartphone Game Released
- Koei Tecmo Financial Report Confirms Western Release of “Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers”
- Toonami Set to Debut “Fire Force” Season 2 on October 24
- Boys-Love Film “Umibe no Étranger” Theme Song to be Sung by MONO NO AWARE Band
- Bushiroad’s “D4DJ” TV Anime Series Releases New Teaser Visual
- “Irregular at Magic High School” Novel Series Set to Receive Two Sequel Novels!
- Trailer Unveils October Premiere, More Cast & Staff for “Iwa-Kakeru! Sports Climbing Girls” TV Anime
- English Dub Cast Revealed for “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” Season 2
- Premium Bandai is Releasing A ‘Naruto’ Figure with His Original Goggles
- The Strawbellbell from ‘Tokyo Mew Mew’ is On Sale to Celebrate the Series’ 20th Anniversary