Heads up, Haikyuu!! fans: the hit volleyball anime with all our lovable sons
-ehem-boys is set to return for a fourth season this January 2020! This was announced during the recently-concluded “Haikyu!! no Hi Zenjitsu-Sai” event on Sunday. The fourth season is slated to premiere in channel MBS’ Super Animeism late night timeslot.
In addition to this, it was also revealed in the event that Kazuyuki Okitsu (Hatori Soma in Fruits Basket 2019) is set to play Suguru Daisho, who will be making his first appearance in the anime this season. Suguru is the third-year captain of the Nohebi Academy Boys’ Volleyball Team, one of the top four volleyball teams in the Spring InterHigh Nationals. Check out his recently-released character design below!
The fourth season was originally announced last December 2018, but at that time, press releases did not specify it as a fourth season.
Furthermore, a two-episode OVA was also announced for the series! According to the details released during the Haikyuu!! event, the OVA will cover the Tokyo Qualifiers in two episodes, ”Riku VS. Ku” (Land VS. Sky) and ”Ball no Michi” (The Path of the Ball). The OVA will feature the volleyball teams from Nekoma High School, Fukurodani Academy, Nohebi Academy, and Itachiyama Academy as they battle against each other for three Tokyo spots for the Nationals. Check out the teaser visual for the OVA below!
Haikyuu!! is a manga series written by Haruichi Furudate. Since its release in 2012, it has been serialized in the Weekly Shonen Jump, with tankobon releases done by Shueisha already numbering to 36 (as of this writing). Haikyuu!! already has over 28 million copies in print as of January 2018. Production I.G. adapted the manga into an anime series in 2014, with the second season airing the year after and a third season airing in 2016.
The manga’s story centers around Shoyo Hinata, who dreams of becoming a star volleyball player despite his height. However, he suffers a crushing defeat in his first and last tournament in middle school at the hands of Tobio Kageyama, dubbed as “King of the Court”. After graduating, he vows to seek revenge on Kageyama and enters Karasuno High School—only for them to wind up as teammates in the school’s volleyball team. Thus the two form a legendary combo by combining Hinata’s athleticism and Kageyama’s genius and together, they vow to take Karasuno to the nationals.
- Toonami to Premiere Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba on October 12
- Live-Action “Hell Girl” Film Previews Theme Song in New Trailer, Reveals New Poster
- Nintendo Previews Gameplay of Upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake
- New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake Previews Turks, Don Corneo
- Atlus Reveals Opening Movie for Persona 5 Royal
- Score a Date with a Finger-Lickin’ Good Colonel Sanders in Dating Simulator Game by KFC
- Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of the Underworld Premiere Date Set on October 12
- Kaguya-sama Film Puts an End to Weathering With You’s 8-Week Box Office Domination
- New Trailer & Details Revealed for OVA Adaptation of Yuri Manga “Fragtime”
- New PV, Release Date & Other Details Revealed for Madoka Magica Side-Story Anime
- Devil May Cry 2 Gets a Nintendo Switch Release on September 19
- Violet Evergarden Film Delayed from Original January 2020 Opening
- 2019 Premiere of Yuri!!! On Ice Anime Film Postponed
- Crowdfunding Launched for Karakai Jozu no Takagi-San VR Anime
- One Piece Creator Eiichiro Oda: “I Want to End One Piece Manga in Five Years”
- Cast of Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Currently Prepping in New Zealand
- New Details Revealed on Upcoming Remake of Cooking Master Boy
- K-ON’s Houkago Tea Time Make Surprise Appearance at Animelo Summer Live 2019