Not even the beloved blue cat Doraemon is spared from the ongoing trade war between neighbors Japan and South Korea. The South Korean release of the 39th Doraemon film, Doraemon: Nobita’s Chronicle of the Moon Exploration, was reported to have been postponed indefinitely, according to The Hollywood Reporter. A month ago, the Korean release of Butt Detective: The Movie was also hit by the Korean boycott, even though it got glowing reviews from South Korean critics.
The growing boycott of Japanese products by SoKor residents—from beer to clothing to pens—is the result of Japan’s July 1 announcement that it was placing restrictions on its high-tech exports to South Korea, which is a threat to SoKor’s ubiquitous electronics industry. According to Japan, they are placing these restrictions due to concerns that their raw materials were getting into North Korea from the South. Seoul has refuted this, saying that the real reason for Japan’s export restrictions is the 2018 South Korean court decision that ordered Japan to compensate Koreans who were forced to work for the Japanese occupiers during World War 2.
While the two countries continue their tit-for-tat on the real reason of the export restrictions, boycott by South Koreans has further escalated. Supermarket owners are voluntarily pulling out Japanese products from their shelves, even at risk of bankruptcy. Korean courier services refuse to accept deliveries of Japanese products. Japanese tour packages have been cancelled. Even the latest Spiderman movie, Far From Home, was affected as well. Koreans are choosing not to watch the film from the highly-popular Marvel franchise, simply because it was released by Sony Pictures Entertainment, the U.S. subsidiary of Japanese company Sony.
We do not know for sure how long this trade war will last, but let’s hope the two countries settle their dispute soon.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
- New Key Visual Released for Upcoming ‘High School Fleet’ Anime Film
- Get Ready for Iceborne!: ‘Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’ Previews Glavenus and New Base Seliana
- Kizuna Ai Releases a Cover of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s “Kizunami”, Collaborates Again With Yasutaka Nakata
- October 11 2019 Premiere & Timeslot Announced for Original TV Anime “Kabukicho Sherlock”
- Japan’s King of Love Songs and Singer of “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” OP Expresses His Enjoyment of The Series
- High School Band on Which Sound! Euphonium Band Was Based On Wins Gold Medal In National Competition
- English Dub Trailer & Cast Revealed for Yuri Anime “Kase-san and Morning Glories” Blu-Ray
- Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino is Special Guest at Anime NYC
- New Teaser Trailer Released for Violet Evergarden Side-Story
- New Teaser Trailer & Visual Revealed for Wotakoi Live-Action Film
- Crowdfunded “Emma: A Victorian Romance” English-Dub Blu-ray Announces Additional Cast
- Clannad Developer Key, J-Rock Icon Yoshiki Donate 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation
- Ai Morinaga, Manga Author of “Yamada Taro Monogatari”, “Your & My Secret” Passes Away
- New Visual, OP Preview, and Premiere Date Released for “Houkago Saikoro Club”
- Uniqlo Releases Full Line of Shirts for Its Collaboration With Sailor Moon
- One Piece Creator Eiichiro Oda Posts Message About Newest One Piece Film in Three Languages
- Anime Films “Doraemon” and “Butt Detective” Latest Victims of the Japan-South Korea Trade War
- Hajime no Ippo Gets First Stage Play, Will Be Written & Directed by Ippo’s Original VA in the Anime Series