Fresh news off the Anime Expo 2019, where Akira creator Katsuhiro Otomo was a special guest: the Akira manga is set to receive an anime adaptation from studio Sunrise! This was confirmed by Sunrise’s president and CEO Makoto Asanuma, who was present at the panel as well.
Asanuma also said that while the project is still in the development stages, he says that they intend to adopt the entire story of the Akira manga. It is not yet clear, however, if this anime adaptation will be a series or something else (but most assume that this will be an animated series). For now, we’ll have to wait for more details.
The manga’s story is described by Anime News Network as such:
”In the year 2038. A police state, scheming politicians, religious sects, revolutionaries and a secret scientific project all combine to produce an explosive mixture in Neo-Tokyo. The rival groups all have their eyes on one prize: control of Akira, a boy of such destructive psychic ability that he has been held in cryo-stasis for over 30 years. A coup is planned, but there is a wild card in play: the psychic Tetsuo, an impetuous young biker who releases Akira and so forces all of the groups to make their move.”
In addition, it was also announced during the panel that the Akira film is set to receive a 4K remaster. The remastered version will be released in Japan on April 24, 2020. The remaster will also be released in the United States, though there is no definite date nor distributor yet.
A short announcement video for the 4K remaster was released, which you can check out below:
The 1988 animated film Akira was based on Katsuhiro Otomo’s post-apocalyptic cyberpunk manga series of the same name. Otomo directed and co-wrote the film’s script as well, and his work has gone on to become an influential cult classic and is widely regarded as one of the best animated films of all time.
It was also recently announced that Akira’s Hollywood live-action adaptation has just been green-lit. The film will be produced by the Leonardo di Caprio-owned Appian Way and will be directed by Thor: Ragnarok’s Taika Waititi. The film is slated for a May 21, 2021 release.
Source: Anime News Network
- Visuals, Cast, Run Dates Revealed for Kimetsu no Yaiba Stage Play
- John Cho’s Injury on Cowboy Bebop Set Puts Production on Hold for 7-9 Months
- 1st Sailor Moon Eternal Movie Set for a September 11, 2020 Theatrical Release
- Card Game ‘Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters!’ Now has a Record of 10,000 Unique Cards
- Smartphone Game ‘Love Plus EVERY’ to Finally Launch on October 31
- Director Taika Waititi States that Live-Action “Akira” Film Will Still Happen
- New Trailer Revealed for Second Season of Fruits Basket 2019
- Season 2 Officially Announced for Kaguya-sama: Love is War
- New Teaser Trailer & 2020 Premiere Revealed for Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film
- KyoAni President: 4 of 33 Injured Staff Still at the Hospital, the Rest Have Returned to Work
- Studio Ghibli Films Confirmed to be Coming to HBO Max in Spring 2020
- Voice Actress Minako Kotobuki to Study in UK for One Year Starting Spring 2020
- Weathering With You Set to Make East Coast Premiere at Anime NYC
- 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime Now Streaming on Netflix, Features New English Dub
- Kaguya-sama Live-Action Film Surpasses 2 Billion Yen in Ticket Sales
- ‘No Guns Life’ Anime Adaptation to have 24 Episodes
- Makoto Shinkai’s “Garden of Words” Film Gets Stage Play Adaptation in London
- Code Geass Writer, Character Designer, C.C. Voice Actress Announced as Guests at Anime NYC