In today’s edition of life imitates art: talent agency Yoshimoto Kogyo Co. has just suspended Yakuza 6 actor Hiroyuki Miyasako. Miyasako, who is also a well-known comedian, is part of the cast of Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, where he plays Tsuyoshi Nagamo, captain of the Hirose Family of Onomichi.
According to a report by The Japan Times, Miyasako along with 10 other comedians were discovered to be conducting “underground business” by attending & providing entertainment at a party hosted by an organized crime group in Japan. Reports from police further state that the comedians including Miyasako accepted money for their attendance from the crime group, which is purportedly involved in money transfer fraud. The party in question happened five years ago.
The agency said, “Although (the comedians) were not aware it was a gathering hosted by an antisocial group, we still consider it a very serious matter that they accepted money from such a group.”
Miyasako has also issued a public apology when this issue came to light, saying, “I deeply regret accepting the money, even if it was indirectly.” Since this issue, he has been edited out of scenes in the TV shows he has appeared in and his other shows have been put in indefinite hiatus. Public broadcast channel NHK has also ceased to air all of its TV programs that involved the 11 suspended comedians.
The question now is if Miyasako will also suffer the same fate in Yakuza 6. To refresh your memory, a similar case happened with actor Pierre Taki in the Judgement game, a spin-off of Yakuza. When Taki was suspected of drug use (because remember, drugs are a huge no-no in Japan), Sony stopped all sales of Judgement in Japan and replaced the voice and likeness used for his character Kyohei Hamura. It remains to be seen if Miyasako will be pulled out of Yakuza 6—after all, his character Tsuyoshi is albeit a minor one.
- Visuals, Cast, Run Dates Revealed for Kimetsu no Yaiba Stage Play
- John Cho’s Injury on Cowboy Bebop Set Puts Production on Hold for 7-9 Months
- 1st Sailor Moon Eternal Movie Set for a September 11, 2020 Theatrical Release
- Card Game ‘Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters!’ Now has a Record of 10,000 Unique Cards
- Smartphone Game ‘Love Plus EVERY’ to Finally Launch on October 31
- Director Taika Waititi States that Live-Action “Akira” Film Will Still Happen
- New Trailer Revealed for Second Season of Fruits Basket 2019
- Season 2 Officially Announced for Kaguya-sama: Love is War
- New Teaser Trailer & 2020 Premiere Revealed for Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film
- KyoAni President: 4 of 33 Injured Staff Still at the Hospital, the Rest Have Returned to Work
- Studio Ghibli Films Confirmed to be Coming to HBO Max in Spring 2020
- Voice Actress Minako Kotobuki to Study in UK for One Year Starting Spring 2020
- Weathering With You Set to Make East Coast Premiere at Anime NYC
- 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime Now Streaming on Netflix, Features New English Dub
- Kaguya-sama Live-Action Film Surpasses 2 Billion Yen in Ticket Sales
- ‘No Guns Life’ Anime Adaptation to have 24 Episodes
- Makoto Shinkai’s “Garden of Words” Film Gets Stage Play Adaptation in London
- Code Geass Writer, Character Designer, C.C. Voice Actress Announced as Guests at Anime NYC