Arguably the biggest game to be revealed at the recently-concluded E3 was Square Enix’s much-anticipated remake of the genre-defining Final Fantasy VII. The game was already confirmed for a Play Station 4 release on March 3, 2020. However, with the dawn of the Play Station 5 coming to us soon, the next question would be, is the game also playable on Sony’s next-generation console?
The answer appears to be a “yes”, based on an interview with Square Enix president and CEO Yosuke Matsuda. He says, “I believe that our teams have made it so that the game will support both the next generation and the current generation of consoles.” He continues, “I believe it is being developed so that it is going to be playable on both, so I’m not really concerned about that and I believe that the fans are also going to be able to enjoy it on both, including the next-generation of consoles.”
Looking at the company’s current plans for a multi-part release for Final Fantasy VII Remake, it seems that the next installments of the game will indeed overlap with the release of the Play Station 5. To refresh your memory, the FFVII that will be released in March 2020 is just the first of a yet-unannounced number of parts for the remake. The first part appears to solely focus on the game’s Midgar portion, which would then comprise about 20% of the game. If, say, the second part will be released a year after the Midgar part was released, it is then highly likely that by that time, the Play Station 5 will have been out in the market.
What remains to be seen, however, is if Final Fantasy VII Remake will be playable in the PS5 via backward compatibility, or if Square Enix will release the game in both Play Station 4 and 5 (like what was done with Last of Us, which was released in both Play Station 3 & 4).
Source: Game Spot
- Visuals, Cast, Run Dates Revealed for Kimetsu no Yaiba Stage Play
- John Cho’s Injury on Cowboy Bebop Set Puts Production on Hold for 7-9 Months
- 1st Sailor Moon Eternal Movie Set for a September 11, 2020 Theatrical Release
- Card Game ‘Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters!’ Now has a Record of 10,000 Unique Cards
- Smartphone Game ‘Love Plus EVERY’ to Finally Launch on October 31
- Director Taika Waititi States that Live-Action “Akira” Film Will Still Happen
- New Trailer Revealed for Second Season of Fruits Basket 2019
- Season 2 Officially Announced for Kaguya-sama: Love is War
- New Teaser Trailer & 2020 Premiere Revealed for Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film
- KyoAni President: 4 of 33 Injured Staff Still at the Hospital, the Rest Have Returned to Work
- Studio Ghibli Films Confirmed to be Coming to HBO Max in Spring 2020
- Voice Actress Minako Kotobuki to Study in UK for One Year Starting Spring 2020
- Weathering With You Set to Make East Coast Premiere at Anime NYC
- 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime Now Streaming on Netflix, Features New English Dub
- Kaguya-sama Live-Action Film Surpasses 2 Billion Yen in Ticket Sales
- ‘No Guns Life’ Anime Adaptation to have 24 Episodes
- Makoto Shinkai’s “Garden of Words” Film Gets Stage Play Adaptation in London
- Code Geass Writer, Character Designer, C.C. Voice Actress Announced as Guests at Anime NYC