And another Final Fantasy news from the folks at Square Enix today: the beloved, long-pined-for, and the forgotten child of the FF franchise, Final Fantasy VIII is finally getting a remaster! Check out the trailer below:
This comes as good news to most Final Fantasy fans, especially to the completionists of the franchise. For context, all Final Fantasy games have been made available on modern consoles these past years, all except Final Fantasy VIII. This was further highlighted during last year’s Nintendo Direct, when Final Fantasy 7, 9, 10, 10-2 and 12 were all announced to be ported to Nintendo Switch. Of course, fans did not fail to notice that 8 appeared to not make the cut. Poor Squall.
Now it seems that FFVIII won’t be the forgotten child anymore, as it is getting its much-awaited port to modern consoles. The FFVIII Remastered is set to launch for the Play Station 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PCs this year, just in time for the game’s 20th anniversary.
Note however, that this FFVIII is simply a remaster, so don’t expect amazing upgrades in the gameplay and graphics like what Final Fantasy VII got. For now, we’re just happy that Square Enix is finally making the game available to modernity. And perhaps this is a sign of more better things to come for Final Fantasy VIII—a remake, perhaps, like what FFVII got? We can only hope. :)
Final Fantasy VIII was first released in 1999 for the Play Station console. The game follows main character Squall Leonhart, leader of a group of mercenaries who are drawn into a conflict with the sorceress Ultimecia, who wishes to compress time. As Squall and his group battle Ultimecia, he falls in love with one of his comrades Rinoa Heartilly.
Source: Crunchyroll News
- Otakon in Washington to Host Fruits Basket’s Tohru, Yuki, and Hatsuharu Japanese VAs
- BanG Dream! Releases Full Trailer For Its 1st Concert Film
- Voice Actresses of ‘Made in Abyss’ and ‘Promised Neverland’ Confirmed to Attend Anime Expo
- “Kaguya-Sama: Love is War” VA Aoi Koga to Have a Guest Role in the Series’ Live-Action Film
- Boys’ Love Anime “Given” Releases New Trailer & OP Preview, July Premiere Set
- My Hero Academia Season 4 Reveals Character Visuals for Big 3, Sir Nighteye & Bubble Girl
- Racehorse that Inspired One of “Uma Musume Pretty Derby” Characters Dies
- ‘No More Heroes III’ Game Slated to Release in 2020 for Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Reveals Release Date for “Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening” Remake
- Nintendo Announces “Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” Sequel
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Also Announced by Square Enix at E3
- Square Enix Debuts New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake That Includes Tifa
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Slated for a March 3, 2020 Worldwide Release
- Yuri Manga “Fragtime” Gets OVA Adaptation, Releases PV and Premiere Date
- “Pastel Memories” Mobile Game to End Service on August 6
- See New Persona 5 Character Kasumi Yoshizawa in Battle with Her Persona
- Sailor Moon Editor Osano, “The Super Live” Actress Kanae Yumemiya to Grace Anime Expo LA
- My Hero Academia Launches the Cutest Collaboration with Sanrio