And another Final Fantasy news from the folks at Square Enix today: the beloved, long-pined-for, and the forgotten child of the FF franchise, Final Fantasy VIII is finally getting a remaster! Check out the trailer below:
This comes as good news to most Final Fantasy fans, especially to the completionists of the franchise. For context, all Final Fantasy games have been made available on modern consoles these past years, all except Final Fantasy VIII. This was further highlighted during last year’s Nintendo Direct, when Final Fantasy 7, 9, 10, 10-2 and 12 were all announced to be ported to Nintendo Switch. Of course, fans did not fail to notice that 8 appeared to not make the cut. Poor Squall.
Now it seems that FFVIII won’t be the forgotten child anymore, as it is getting its much-awaited port to modern consoles. The FFVIII Remastered is set to launch for the Play Station 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PCs this year, just in time for the game’s 20th anniversary.
Note however, that this FFVIII is simply a remaster, so don’t expect amazing upgrades in the gameplay and graphics like what Final Fantasy VII got. For now, we’re just happy that Square Enix is finally making the game available to modernity. And perhaps this is a sign of more better things to come for Final Fantasy VIII—a remake, perhaps, like what FFVII got? We can only hope. :)
Final Fantasy VIII was first released in 1999 for the Play Station console. The game follows main character Squall Leonhart, leader of a group of mercenaries who are drawn into a conflict with the sorceress Ultimecia, who wishes to compress time. As Squall and his group battle Ultimecia, he falls in love with one of his comrades Rinoa Heartilly.
Source: Crunchyroll News
OP and ED Song Performers Revealed for TV Anime Series of Yongje Park Manhwa “God of High School”Jun 4, 4am
Character Trailer Revealed for TV Anime Adaptation of Yongje Park Manhwa “The God of High School” May 28, 6am
“Inuyasha” Spin-off “Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon” Releases Character Designs by Series Author Jun 3, 8pm
Freddie Mercury’s “The Great Pretender” Cover is Opening Theme Song for “The Great Pretender” AnimeJun 1, 6am
Studio Ghibli to Develop CG Anime for “Earwig and the Witch” Novel by Author of “Howl’s Moving Castle”Jun 4, 5am
Construction for Ghibli Theme Park in Aichi Prefecture Starts This July, Set for a Fall 2022 OpeningJun 3, 4am
- Police Arrest Man Who Blackmailed “Kemono Friends” Director & Voice Actress
- 27-Minute Video Digest for Love Live! Fest Blu-ray Memorial Box Revealed
- New Visual, July 3 Premiere, Theme Song Artists Revealed for “Dokyuu Hentai HxEros” Anime
- Studio Ghibli to Develop CG Anime for “Earwig and the Witch” Novel by Author of “Howl’s Moving Castle”
- OP and ED Song Performers Revealed for TV Anime Series of Yongje Park Manhwa “God of High School”
- Construction for Ghibli Theme Park in Aichi Prefecture Starts This July, Set for a Fall 2022 Opening
- Sentai Filmworks Unveils “After the Rain” English Dub Preview, Cast
- “Inuyasha” Spin-off “Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon” Releases Character Designs by Series Author
- After Being Delayed by COVID-19, “No Guns No Life” 2nd Half Now Set for a July Premiere
- Freddie Mercury’s “The Great Pretender” Cover is Opening Theme Song for “The Great Pretender” Anime
- ‘Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma’ Season Five Anime Returns on July 3!
- Osamu Tezuka’s Anime Classics will be Available for Streaming in June
- Promo Video for Final Season of ‘Attack on Titan’ Anime Reveals New Staff of MAPPA
- Hooo…WHO?! ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ Reigns and Still Number 1 in Japan’s Video Game Rankings
- Gotta Go Fast…Again!: ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Film is Getting a Sequel
- “Fire Force” Season 2 Ending Theme Song to be Sung by Rock Band Cider Girl
- “Quintessential Quintuplets” Gets Smartphone Puzzle Game This Year
- Character Trailer Revealed for TV Anime Adaptation of Yongje Park Manhwa “The God of High School”