Japanese advertisements are on a totally different level—there’s the zany, the downright weird, and then there are the gorgeous ones—bonus points if these feature our favorite anime characters.
Luckily for One Piece fans, the series’ characters are featured in the newest “Hungry Days” ad for popular noodle brand Nissin. The CM centers on fan-favorite Roronoa Zoro, who is seen in the ad as a member of his high school’s kendo club. When he is defeated by a senior club member, Zoro throws himself into practicing hard so that he can surpass his senior. Check out the 30-second version of the CM below!
And if you are sharp-eyed enough, there were actually a lot of cameo appearances in the CM by some characters from the series!
For example, Zoro’s childhood rival Kuina is seen in a picture presumably in their kendo practice room:
In this one frame, we get to see the Alabastans Crocodile and Vivi along with Whitebeard, Blackbeard, Coby and Alvida:
There are other Easter eggs in the CM as well, such as Zoro’s 3-sword style but instead of swords he holds pencils.
The most important cameo of all, of course, is the appearance of a student wearing a straw hat saying, “You’re so cool”. Need we say who this character is?
The popular series of advertisements previously featured iconic anime such as Kiki’s Delivery Service, Heidi, Girl of the Alps, and Sazae-san, each with a different storyline. For example, the CM that featured Studio Ghibli’s Kiki and her friend Tombo sees Kiki dealing with the pangs of teenage romance, eventually confessing her feelings for Tombo.
These gorgeous animated CMs feature character designs by Carole & Tuesday’s Eisaku Kubonouchi, and songs performed by Japanese rock band BUMP OF CHICKEN. While the previous “Hungry Days” ads were produced by Tatsunoko Production, this One Piece ad is done by Shaft.
Source: Anime News Network
- New PV for Babylon TV Anime Previews OP Song, New Cast Members, 3 Story Arcs
- “Smile Down the Runway” Manga Gets Anime Adaptation
- Theatrical Screenings of Violet Evergarden Side-Story Gets Two-Week Extension Due to Success
- Character Visuals Unveiled for Upcoming Persona 5 Stage Play
- Toonami to Premiere Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba on October 12
- Live-Action “Hell Girl” Film Previews Theme Song in New Trailer, Reveals New Poster
- Nintendo Previews Gameplay of Upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake
- New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake Previews Turks, Don Corneo
- Atlus Reveals Opening Movie for Persona 5 Royal
- Score a Date with a Finger-Lickin’ Good Colonel Sanders in Dating Simulator Game by KFC
- Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of the Underworld Premiere Date Set on October 12
- Kaguya-sama Film Puts an End to Weathering With You’s 8-Week Box Office Domination
- New Trailer & Details Revealed for OVA Adaptation of Yuri Manga “Fragtime”
- New PV, Release Date & Other Details Revealed for Madoka Magica Side-Story Anime
- Devil May Cry 2 Gets a Nintendo Switch Release on September 19
- Violet Evergarden Film Delayed from Original January 2020 Opening
- 2019 Premiere of Yuri!!! On Ice Anime Film Postponed
- Crowdfunding Launched for Karakai Jozu no Takagi-San VR Anime