Yours truly has just finished watching the painfully short 12-episode anime adaptation of Kaguya-sama: Love is War, and deprived as I am, I started frantically scouring the internet for any news of a second season. Which is somewhat unreasonable, I admit, since the series just ended this March. Lol.
There is, however, some news related to this extraordinary romcom, but it’s not a second season (as what I and others fans wish)—it’s a live-action movie! Plans for the live-action adaptation was announced last February by Shueisha, and along with it the actors who will play the lead characters. Sho Hirano, a member of Johnny’s & Associates idol group King & Prince, is set to play student council president Miyuki Shirogane. On the other hand, student council vice-president and Shirogane’s love interest/eternal rival Kaguya Shinomiya is played by Gintama live-action actress Kanna Hashimoto.
This Tuesday, additional cast members for the other characters were announced. Clockwise from top the new cast members are:
• Natsumi Ikema as Nagisa Kashiwagi
• Nana Asekawa as Chika Fujiwara (it is crucial that she dance the legendary Chika dance!)
• Yutaro as Tsubasa
• Jiro Sato as Shozo Tanuma as narrator
• Masahiro Takashima as Miyuki’s father
• Mayu Hotta as Ai Hayasaka
It was also announced last week that 3D Kanojo Real Girl’s live-action actor Hayato Sano will be playing Yuu Ishigami, the treasurer of the student council who was mightily afraid of Kaguya.
The movie is directed by Hayato Kawai, who also directed the live-action films of My Love Story! and Nisekoi. Script will be written by Yuichi Tokunaga, who also handled the scripts for the live-action of Tonde Saitama and Princess Jellyfish series.
Kaguya-sama: Love is War (or known in Japan as Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai – Tensai-tachi no Ren’ai Zunousen, literally, “Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to: The Geniuses’ War of Love and Brains”) is a seinen manga series written and illustrated by Aka Akasaka. The English licensing rights to the series is held by Viz Media, who describes the manga’s story as such:
”All’s fair when love is war!
Two geniuses. Two brains. Two hearts. One battle. Who will confess their love first…?!
Kaguya Shinomiya and Miyuki Shirogane are two geniuses who stand atop their prestigious academy’s student council, making them the elite among elite. But it’s lonely at the top and each has fallen for the other. There’s just one huge problem standing in the way of lovey-dovey bliss—they’re both too prideful to be the first to confess their romantic feelings and thus become the “loser” in the competition of love! And so begins their daily schemes to force the other to confess first!”
Source: Anime News Network
- New PV for Babylon TV Anime Previews OP Song, New Cast Members, 3 Story Arcs
- “Smile Down the Runway” Manga Gets Anime Adaptation
- Theatrical Screenings of Violet Evergarden Side-Story Gets Two-Week Extension Due to Success
- Character Visuals Unveiled for Upcoming Persona 5 Stage Play
- Toonami to Premiere Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba on October 12
- Live-Action “Hell Girl” Film Previews Theme Song in New Trailer, Reveals New Poster
- Nintendo Previews Gameplay of Upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake
- New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake Previews Turks, Don Corneo
- Atlus Reveals Opening Movie for Persona 5 Royal
- Score a Date with a Finger-Lickin’ Good Colonel Sanders in Dating Simulator Game by KFC
- Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of the Underworld Premiere Date Set on October 12
- Kaguya-sama Film Puts an End to Weathering With You’s 8-Week Box Office Domination
- New Trailer & Details Revealed for OVA Adaptation of Yuri Manga “Fragtime”
- New PV, Release Date & Other Details Revealed for Madoka Magica Side-Story Anime
- Devil May Cry 2 Gets a Nintendo Switch Release on September 19
- Violet Evergarden Film Delayed from Original January 2020 Opening
- 2019 Premiere of Yuri!!! On Ice Anime Film Postponed
- Crowdfunding Launched for Karakai Jozu no Takagi-San VR Anime