Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame has smashed—and is still breaking— box office records around the world, but this doesn’t appear to be the case in Japan. The Earth’s Mightiest Heroes may have soundly beaten Thanos, but they have found their match in the stunted Conan Edogawa!
According to the latest box office numbers in Japan, Detective Conan’s 23rd film Fist of the Blue Sapphire is still reigning supreme in Japanese cinemas, its ticket sales boosted during the 10-day long Golden Week holidays. In just the last two days of the Golden Week, the Detective Conan film earned a whopping 587 million yen. The impressive Golden Week sales of the film brought it back to the number 1 spot in Japanese cinemas, which was initially held by Avengers: Endgame on its first week of release.
The Hollywood superhero film earned 962 million yen in the first weekend of its release, pushing it to the top spot of the Japanese box office rankings; however, as stated earlier, the long-running anime franchise managed to easily regain the number 1 spot.
Currently, Fist of the Blue Sapphire has earned a grand total of 7.52 billion yen, making it the highest-grossing film in Japan this year so far and the second highest-grossing Detective Conan film, just behind last year’s Zero the Enforcer.
Below are the box office rankings for the last 2 days of the Golden Week, May 4 and 5.
1. “Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire” – 7.52 billion yen
2. “Avengers: Endgame” – 4.08 billion yen
3. “Pokemon Detective Pikachu” – 948 million yen
4. “Kingdom” – 3.5 billion yen
5. “Crayon Shin-chan: Honeymoon Hurricane The Lost Hiroshi” – 1.6 billion yen
6. “Kakegurui” – 150 million yen
7. “Shazam!” – 630 million yen
8. “Tonde Saitama” – 3.64 billion yen
9. “KING OF PRISM Shiny Seven Stars IV Louis x Shin x Unknown”
10. “Doraemon the Movie 2019 Nobita’s Chronicle of the Moon Exploration” – 4.94 billion yen
Fist of the Blue Sapphire is the first in the franchise that will be set outside of Japan. Singapore’s famous Marina Bay Sands will be featured in the movie as the site of a murder case. Kaito Kid’s much-coveted Blue Sapphire, which was said to have sunk to the bottom of the ocean, will also figure prominently in the story. This film marks the first appearance of karate master Makoto Kyogoku in the films, as he confronts Kid for trying to steal the Blue Sapphire. Kaito Kid, on the other hand, drags Conan to Singapore against his will. This movie marks Kaito Kid’s return to Detective Conan films since 2015’s Sunflowers of Inferno, the franchise’s 19th film.
Cast regulars Minami Takayama, Wakana Yamazaki, and Rikiya Koyama will return to reprise their roles as Conan, Ran, and Mouri respectively. The movie will be directed by Tomoka Nagaoka, who was assistant director to the Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter movie.
- Sega Drops Yakuza 3 for PS4 in the West as Part of Yakuza Remastered Collection, 4 & 5 to Follow
- 1st PV, Main Cast, and October Premiere Revealed for Anime Adaptation of Mado Nozaki’s “Babylon” Novels
- Yuruyuri Celebrates 10th Anniversary With A Special OVA Release
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Launches Worldwide on September 3
- KyoAni Arsonist Could Possibly Escape Death Penalty Because of Mental Illness
- Haikyuu!! Announces New Cast Member & Premiere Date for Season 4, Reveals 2-Episode OVA
- New Key Visual Released for Upcoming ‘High School Fleet’ Anime Film
- Get Ready for Iceborne!: ‘Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’ Previews Glavenus and New Base Seliana
- Kizuna Ai Releases a Cover of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s “Kizunami”, Collaborates Again With Yasutaka Nakata
- October 11 2019 Premiere & Timeslot Announced for Original TV Anime “Kabukicho Sherlock”
- Japan’s King of Love Songs and Singer of “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” OP Expresses His Enjoyment of The Series
- High School Band on Which Sound! Euphonium Band Was Based On Wins Gold Medal In National Competition
- English Dub Trailer & Cast Revealed for Yuri Anime “Kase-san and Morning Glories” Blu-Ray
- Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino is Special Guest at Anime NYC
- New Teaser Trailer Released for Violet Evergarden Side-Story
- New Teaser Trailer & Visual Revealed for Wotakoi Live-Action Film
- Crowdfunded “Emma: A Victorian Romance” English-Dub Blu-ray Announces Additional Cast
- Clannad Developer Key, J-Rock Icon Yoshiki Donate 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation