Just a few days after news of the death of Lupin III’s creator, Kazuhiko Kato, we get another unfortunate news of a manga writer’s passing. The official Twitter account of longtime manga creator Kazuo Koike has just announced that he has succumbed to pneumonia this Wednesday. He was 82 years old.
The tweet from his official Twitter account is translated by Crunchyroll News as such:
“Kazuo Koike, who had been hospitalized for a long time, deceased on April 17 due to pneumonia. We really appreciate that Kazuo Koike and his works were loved by so many people during his lifetime. According to his wish, his funeral was already conducted only by his relatives. Thank you very much for all of you.”
His last tweets in his account were his condolences with regards to the death of Kazuhiko Kato aka Monkey Punch, who was his longtime friend and rival. Lupin III and Koike’s work Lone Wolf & Cub once ran at the same time in the Weekly Manga Action magazine almost 40 years ago, competing for popularity in the magazine. Koike’s tweet is translated as such:
“Monkey Punch was also my rival in the early days of Manga Action forty years ago, his ‘Lupin The Third’ and my ‘Lone Wolf and Cub’ were competing for popularity. And I remember we collaborated for the manga called ‘Secretary Bird.’ I miss him so much.”
Born on May 8, 1936 in Akita prefecture, Koike studied under Golgo 13 creator Takao Saito and eventually became a writer in the series. Together with Goseki Kojima, he created the manga Kozure Okami (Lone Wolf & Cub) which eventually became a huge success, earning them the nickname “Golden Duo”. Their manga inspired six live-action films which starred Tomisaburo Wakiyama; the latter’s portrayal of the scowling 19th century ronin warrior became the actor’s most characteristic role. He also opened a school called “Koike Kazuo Gekigason Jyuku”, which aimed to teach future manga artists and support them in their professional debut. Some of his well-known students include Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star), Rumiko Takahashi (Ranma ½), and Keisuke Itagaki (Baki).
Source: Crunchyroll News
- Second of Four Teasers for Boys’ Love Anime “Given” Released
- GKIDS Acquires License for N. American Distribution of Makoto Shinkai’s “Weathering With You”
- You Can Now Stream These Awesome Anime Movies on FunimationNOW!
- Former Member of Idol Group KAT-TUN Junnosuke Taguchi Detained Over Marijuana Possession
- One Piece’s Zoro is a High Schooler in New “Hungry Days” Nissin Cup Noodles Ad
- Psychological Thriller Manga Happy Sugar Life to End in June
- Musical Anime “Carole & Tuesday” Casts Aoi Shouta, Announces Collabs With Steve Aoki, Andy Platts, etc.
- Agency of “Nisekoi” Voice Actress Nao Toyama Starts Taking Steps Against Her Online Harassers
- More Cast Revealed for Kaguya-sama: Love is War Live-Action Movie
- Aniplex To Release Cells at Work BD In English Dub, English Cover of OP Previewed
- Universal Studios Japan Release Promotional Video for its Sailor Moon 4D Attraction
- More English Cast Members Announced for ‘Sailor Moon Sailor Stars’ Anime
- First Teaser Revealed for Upcoming Boys’ Love Anime “Given”
- Aqours to Perform Again in Anime Expo Los Angeles
- Revolutionary Girl Utena Launches New Musical Stage Play About the Black Rose Arc
- Japan to Send Gunpla Models to Space as Part of Promotions for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Report Claims that Kalafina Disbanded Due to Management Issues, Wants to Reunite as a Group
- “Ouran High School Host Club” Author Bisco Hatori is Special Guest at Anime Expo Los Angeles