In solidarity with Parisians and the rest of the world who are affected by the damage wrought on an historical & art heritage, French game developer Ubisoft will be giving players the chance to experience the Notre Dame Cathedral. Assassin’s Creed Unity will be free to download on PC starting next week until April 25. AC: Unity is set in 18th century Paris (specifically in the year 1789) during the French Revolution, which thus includes an accurate representation of the Notre Dame itself.
Ubisoft released a statement which reads in part, “Ubisoft wants to give all gamers the chance to experience the majesty and beauty of the cathedral. You can download Assassin’s Creed Unity on PC for free here, and you’ll own it forever in your Uplay games library.”
Besides offering the game for free for a week, Ubisoft has also pledged 500,000 euros to restoration works of the Cathedral.
The Assassin’s Creed video game franchise has gained a reputation for rendering historically-accurate landmarks in the ancient world and in past centuries, in which the game is usually set. For Assassin’s Creed Unity, the video game rendering of the Notre Dame Cathedral required 5,000 hours of work so as to faithfully reconstruct the historical landmark. This included the 140 stained glass structures, the almost lifelike gargoyle statues, and the cathedral’s iconic spire (the presence of which was critiqued by historians, as the spire was only added to the cathedral in the 19th century; as mentioned above, AC: Unity is set in 1789).
Assassin’s Creed is Ubisoft’s best-selling franchise and is also one of the highest selling video game franchises of all time. It depicts the centuries-old struggle between the Assassins and the Templars, the former being those who fight for peace with free will and the latter are the ones who desire peace through control. First released in 2007, the series has consistently received critical acclaim throughout the years. Assassin’s Creed Unity is the 8th major installment in the series and was released in November 2014 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
Source: Tech Radar
- Sega Drops Yakuza 3 for PS4 in the West as Part of Yakuza Remastered Collection, 4 & 5 to Follow
- 1st PV, Main Cast, and October Premiere Revealed for Anime Adaptation of Mado Nozaki’s “Babylon” Novels
- Yuruyuri Celebrates 10th Anniversary With A Special OVA Release
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Launches Worldwide on September 3
- KyoAni Arsonist Could Possibly Escape Death Penalty Because of Mental Illness
- Haikyuu!! Announces New Cast Member & Premiere Date for Season 4, Reveals 2-Episode OVA
- New Key Visual Released for Upcoming ‘High School Fleet’ Anime Film
- Get Ready for Iceborne!: ‘Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’ Previews Glavenus and New Base Seliana
- Kizuna Ai Releases a Cover of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s “Kizunami”, Collaborates Again With Yasutaka Nakata
- October 11 2019 Premiere & Timeslot Announced for Original TV Anime “Kabukicho Sherlock”
- Japan’s King of Love Songs and Singer of “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” OP Expresses His Enjoyment of The Series
- High School Band on Which Sound! Euphonium Band Was Based On Wins Gold Medal In National Competition
- English Dub Trailer & Cast Revealed for Yuri Anime “Kase-san and Morning Glories” Blu-Ray
- Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino is Special Guest at Anime NYC
- New Teaser Trailer Released for Violet Evergarden Side-Story
- New Teaser Trailer & Visual Revealed for Wotakoi Live-Action Film
- Crowdfunded “Emma: A Victorian Romance” English-Dub Blu-ray Announces Additional Cast
- Clannad Developer Key, J-Rock Icon Yoshiki Donate 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation