The hit PlayStation 4 game God of War is celebrating it first anniversary this week. As part of the celebrations, special commemorative content to fans such as a free dynamic theme and several Avatars on the PS4 were released via the PlayStation Store by Santa Monica Studios.
The free dynamic theme features the God of War himself, Kratos, and his son Atreus riding a boat in the Lake of Nine. It appears, however, that the dynamic theme isn’t all just to get fans in the mood to celebrate the game’s 1st anniversary.
According to some eagle-eyed fans over at Reddit, a series of Nordic runes are etched into the side of Kratos’ and Atreus’ boat. The runes are a little hard to see though, but zooming in on the picture and adjusting the brightness a bit does show us this:
A little bit of Google there and the runes are revealed to mean, “Ragnarok is Coming”. With the God of War being set in Norse mythology (a departure from previous God of War games, which are based on Greek mythology), does this mean that the Nordic end of times will figure prominently in the sequel? And will the father and son be involved in this calamity, and how?
God of War was released in 2018 for the PlayStation 4 and is the sequel to God of War III released in 2010. Developed by Santa Monica Studios and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, the game follows the former Greek God of War Kratos and his son Atreus. After the death of Kratos’ wife, he and his son embark on a journey to fulfill his wife’s request to spread her ashes at the highest peak of the nine realms. Throughout their journey, Kratos and Atreus encounter monsters and gods of Nordic mythology, all while Kratos keeps his divinity from his own son a secret. Upon release, the game received critical acclaim for its story, gameplay, and stunning graphics, and also became one of the best-selling PlayStation 4 games of all time.
Source: Games Radar
- Sega Drops Yakuza 3 for PS4 in the West as Part of Yakuza Remastered Collection, 4 & 5 to Follow
- 1st PV, Main Cast, and October Premiere Revealed for Anime Adaptation of Mado Nozaki’s “Babylon” Novels
- Yuruyuri Celebrates 10th Anniversary With A Special OVA Release
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Launches Worldwide on September 3
- KyoAni Arsonist Could Possibly Escape Death Penalty Because of Mental Illness
- Haikyuu!! Announces New Cast Member & Premiere Date for Season 4, Reveals 2-Episode OVA
- New Key Visual Released for Upcoming ‘High School Fleet’ Anime Film
- Get Ready for Iceborne!: ‘Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’ Previews Glavenus and New Base Seliana
- Kizuna Ai Releases a Cover of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s “Kizunami”, Collaborates Again With Yasutaka Nakata
- October 11 2019 Premiere & Timeslot Announced for Original TV Anime “Kabukicho Sherlock”
- Japan’s King of Love Songs and Singer of “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” OP Expresses His Enjoyment of The Series
- High School Band on Which Sound! Euphonium Band Was Based On Wins Gold Medal In National Competition
- English Dub Trailer & Cast Revealed for Yuri Anime “Kase-san and Morning Glories” Blu-Ray
- Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino is Special Guest at Anime NYC
- New Teaser Trailer Released for Violet Evergarden Side-Story
- New Teaser Trailer & Visual Revealed for Wotakoi Live-Action Film
- Crowdfunded “Emma: A Victorian Romance” English-Dub Blu-ray Announces Additional Cast
- Clannad Developer Key, J-Rock Icon Yoshiki Donate 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation