Honestly, the zipper on Rilakkuma’s back is quite the mystery—why would a stuffed brown bear have one in his back, and more importantly, what does it conceal beneath? This question is further teased in the newest PV for Netflix’s Rilakkuma and Kaoru animated series.
The video starts with his kind roommate Kaoru pointing out that Rilakkuma is just wearing a gasp costume, with the next scene affirming this proclamation—Kaoru asks him to include his clothes in the wash, and Rilakkuma peels off his entire costume. However, we do not get to see what he looks like underneath, as he is hidden by his bed covers. When the narration asks if there is someone who knows what Rilakkuma looks like beneath the brown bear costume, one character answers, “Zero”.
Rilakkuma and Kaoru was first announced by Netflix in 2017 and was initially slated for a 2018 release. It was eventually moved to an April 19, 2019 world premiere. The series, created using stop-motion animation, will run for 13 episodes that run for around 11 minutes each. Previous trailers revealed for the series have revealed both its Japanese and English dub. The Japanese dub stars Mikako Tabe as Kaoru, while the English dub has Lana Condor voicing Rilakkuma’s human roommate.
The painstaking stop-motion animation in the series was done by Dwarf Studio, best known for the brown furry mascot Domo-kun. The series is headed by director Masahito Kobayashi, with Naoko Ogigami handling the scripts.
Anime News Network describes Rilakkuma and Kaoru’s story as such:
The character’s story begins when the titular Rilakkuma suddenly appears in the apartment of office worker Kaoru and begins living there, spending every day idling around. He has a zipper on his back, but the contents remain unknown. He likes food like pancakes, omelette rice, pudding, and dango. He lives together with the little white cub Korilakkuma and Kaoru’s pet Kiiroitori (“yellow bird”).
Rilakkuma was created by character designer Aki Kondo and was launched by Japanese company San-X in 2003.
Source: Anime News Network
- Sega Drops Yakuza 3 for PS4 in the West as Part of Yakuza Remastered Collection, 4 & 5 to Follow
- 1st PV, Main Cast, and October Premiere Revealed for Anime Adaptation of Mado Nozaki’s “Babylon” Novels
- Yuruyuri Celebrates 10th Anniversary With A Special OVA Release
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Launches Worldwide on September 3
- KyoAni Arsonist Could Possibly Escape Death Penalty Because of Mental Illness
- Haikyuu!! Announces New Cast Member & Premiere Date for Season 4, Reveals 2-Episode OVA
- New Key Visual Released for Upcoming ‘High School Fleet’ Anime Film
- Get Ready for Iceborne!: ‘Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’ Previews Glavenus and New Base Seliana
- Kizuna Ai Releases a Cover of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s “Kizunami”, Collaborates Again With Yasutaka Nakata
- October 11 2019 Premiere & Timeslot Announced for Original TV Anime “Kabukicho Sherlock”
- Japan’s King of Love Songs and Singer of “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” OP Expresses His Enjoyment of The Series
- High School Band on Which Sound! Euphonium Band Was Based On Wins Gold Medal In National Competition
- English Dub Trailer & Cast Revealed for Yuri Anime “Kase-san and Morning Glories” Blu-Ray
- Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino is Special Guest at Anime NYC
- New Teaser Trailer Released for Violet Evergarden Side-Story
- New Teaser Trailer & Visual Revealed for Wotakoi Live-Action Film
- Crowdfunded “Emma: A Victorian Romance” English-Dub Blu-ray Announces Additional Cast
- Clannad Developer Key, J-Rock Icon Yoshiki Donate 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation