More Netflix anime licensing news today! The April 2019 issue of Shogakukan’s Monthly Shonen Sunday has announced that Hiroshi Takashige and Ryouji Minagawa’s classic sci-fi manga Spriggan is getting an anime adaptation, which will be released worldwide by Netflix. Animation will be handled by David Production, the studio known for animating JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure and Cells at Work, among others.
Other details such as the release date, number of episodes, and voice actors are yet to be announced.
Spriggan is set in the Cold War era, where world superpowers are fighting over mysterious items known as out-of-place artifacts (OOPart), which can be used by the superpowers as weapons against one another. The story focuses on Yu Ominae, one of the top agents or “Spriggan” of the ARCAM Private Army. They are the military arm of the ARCAM Corporation, a multi-national company that has taken upon itself the job of protecting these artifacts from an ancient civilization against the countries who intend to use these in their wars.
Written by Hiroshi Takashige and illustrated by Ryouji Minagawa, Spriggan ran from 1989 to 1996 in Shogakukan’s Weekly Shonen Sunday and Shonen Sunday Super. It has since released 11 tankobon volumes from 1991 to 1996, and reprints in 2001 and 2006 included previously unpublished stories “First Mission” and “Gold Rush”. Viz Media translated and released three out of the manga’s eleven volumes and renamed it Striker, but eventually halted publication and distribution of the manga in North America.
The manga was also adapted by Studio 4°C into an anime film in 1998, which covered the Noah’s Ark story of the manga.
‘Non Non Biyori’ Anime is Getting a Third Season! May 12, 10pmIt was announced on Saturday during the “Nyanpasu Matsuri Vacation Nanon”. event that the anime series Non Non Biyori is getting a third season. A promotional video on the announcement of the anime’s third season was also uploaded on the series' official website.
- Musical Anime “Carole & Tuesday” Casts Aoi Shouta, Announces Collabs With Steve Aoki, Andy Platts, etc.
- Agency of “Nisekoi” Voice Actress Nao Toyama Starts Taking Steps Against Her Online Harassers
- More Cast Revealed for Kaguya-sama: Love is War Live-Action Movie
- Aniplex To Release Cells at Work BD In English Dub, English Cover of OP Previewed
- Universal Studios Japan Release Promotional Video for its Sailor Moon 4D Attraction
- More English Cast Members Announced for ‘Sailor Moon Sailor Stars’ Anime
- First Teaser Revealed for Upcoming Boys’ Love Anime “Given”
- Aqours to Perform Again in Anime Expo Los Angeles
- Revolutionary Girl Utena Launches New Musical Stage Play About the Black Rose Arc
- Japan to Send Gunpla Models to Space as Part of Promotions for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Report Claims that Kalafina Disbanded Due to Management Issues, Wants to Reunite as a Group
- “Ouran High School Host Club” Author Bisco Hatori is Special Guest at Anime Expo Los Angeles
- 2nd ‘Made in Abyss’ Compilation Film to Premiere in the US on May 27!
- More Game Trailers Released for ‘Samurai Shodown’ Video Game
- Toonami Block Adds Attack on Titan Season 3, Airs Half an Hour Earlier Starting May 25
- Viz Media Announces English Dub Cast for Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars Blu-ray Release
- Jesus and Buddha Frolic Around Akihabara in New Saint Young Men Teaser
- New Fruits Basket Bonus Manga to be Bundled With 1st DVD/Blu-ray of the Series