The original DigiDestined are set to make a grand comeback! As part of the anime’s 20th anniversary, Digimon Adventure is set to come out with a new film, with the teaser trailer for the upcoming project just released yesterday. Check it out below:
Tentatively titled Digimon Adventure the Movie, the film will follow the original DigiDestined at age 22, their ages in line with the franchise’s anniversary (Digimon was created in 1997, with the anime series launched two years later). A preview of character designs of Tai, Matt, Sora, Mimi, Izzy, Joe, TK, and Kairi as grownups was revealed last December:
If you look closely at the picture, there are short sentences written under each character’s name in Kanji. These are actually short teasers for each, giving fans a glimpse of how the original DigiDestined are now as grownups. Below are the translations:
• Joe: Did he manage to pass his entrance exams…!? A 23-year-old whose choice of career path is of great interest.
• Mimi: A charming 21-year-old dressed in fashionable clothing!
• Izzy: A 21-year-old who looks great in a suit!? Could he be working at a job already?
• Matt: Matt with his ever calm and collected expression. He seems to have a gentle air to him too!?
• Tai: He still sports his signature hairstyle. His expression accurately reflects his carefree personality!
• Sora: 22 years old. Did she decide to devote herself to the art of Ikebana!? Her kimono suits her perfectly!
• T.K.: 19 years old and all grown up, he’s grown even taller than his older brother Matt!?
• Kairi: While her innocent personality still remains, she seems to have her act together more than her brother Tai does!
The sequel film will be bringing back series creator Hiromi Seki as the supervisor of the film. Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru and Kenji Watanabe are also returning as the film’s original character and monster designers, respectfully.
Launched in 1997, Digimon was conceived by Bandai, Toei Animation and Wiz to capitalize on the Tamagotchi craze. An anime series was launched in 1999 about a group of children called the DigiDestined who were sent to the Digimon world to fight evil creatures. The franchise has since spawned several series and films.
Digimon Adventure the Movie is slated for a spring 2020 release.
Lupin III Gets First-Ever 3D CG Anime Film Jul 11, 8amLupin III is back, and he looks sleeker than ever in his first 3D CG film. TOHO has just revealed a trailer for the movie Lupin III THE FIRST, affording us all a look at how our favorite thieves will look like in 3D CG.
- Warner Bros. Puts Production of Live-Action Adaptation of Akira “On Hold Indefinitely”
- Pokemon GO Announces Collab with One Piece in Support of Kumamoto Prefecture
- San Diego Comic-Con To Hold Guinness Attempt for Largest People Performing “Kamehameha”
- Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight Gets 3rd Stage Musical in 2020
- “Sonic the Hedgehog” Producer Tim Miller Confident that Sonic’s Redesign Will Please Fans
- ‘My Hero Academia’ Once Again Tops Monthly Bookscan List for June
- Video Preview of Chihayafuru Season 3’s Opening Theme Released
- Persona 5 Gets a Stage Play Adaptation This December
- Lupin III Gets First-Ever 3D CG Anime Film
- Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Announced, Slated for a September 20 Release
- Opening Animation for Gundam Battle: Gunpla Warfare Smartphone Game Released
- Johnny Kitagawa, Founder of Boyband Empire Johnny & Associates, Dies at 87
- New Trailer Released for the Digimon 20th Anniversary Movie
- IDOLiSH7 Returns for a Second Season in 2020
- Visual & Premiere Date Released for New “My Hero Academia” Film, Manga Author Says It Will Be The Last Film
- Carole & Tuesday Set for a Worldwide Netflix Release on August 30
- Funimation Announces US Screenings for “Love Live! Sunshine!! School Idol Movie Over the Rainbow”
- Akira to Get An Anime Adaptation From Sunrise, 1988 Film to be Released in 4K Remaster