News Writer: Raven
While Alita: Battle Angel is yet to be released in US theaters on February 14, projections for the film already look grim. Tracking numbers indicate that it will only earn around $25 million on its opening week, with a final domestic gross of $50 million—far from breaking even of the film’s reported $200 million budget.
There is still hope for the film, however, as it is still set to be released in Japan and China on February 22. As Alita is more well-known in Asia, some analysts say that the film could manage to break even in Asian markets. Alita might be able to break out particularly well in China, as there are cases when effects-driven Western movies that flopped domestically manage a surprise success in Chinese theaters (as was the case with Warcraft).
Written by Yukito Kishiro in 1990, Alita is a cyberpunk manga that tells the story of a cyborg who lost all her memories except for the Panzer Kunst, a legendary cyborg martial art. She uses her skills to become a bounty hunter and to ultimately rediscover her identity and past.
Alita has long been a passion project of bigshot Hollywood producer James Cameron, who has announced his plans to adapt the manga way back 2003. The project was ultimately shelved to make way for Avatar, and was only revisited in 2016. Alita: Battle Angel is directed by Robert Rodriguez, with screenplay co-written by James Cameron and Laeta Kalogridis. Rosa Salazar of Divergent and Maze Runner stars as titular character Alita.
Hello Kitty to Return to TV Screens in 2021Feb 13, 11amSanrio’s iconic character, Hello Kitty, is set to star in a new TV series. On February 6 the company announced that its beloved character will star in a new TV series entitled The World of Hello Kitty.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Releases Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Luxury Watches
- Amazing Spider Man Director Marc Webb to Helm US Live Action Remake of Your Name
- Square Enix to Release 'Final Fantasy IX' on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch
- Atlus USA to Release 'Catherine: Full Body' Video Game for the West on September 3!
- VIZ Media Acquires License to Junji Ito's 'No Longer Human' Manga
- Sentai Filmworks to Produce English Dub for 'Kämpfer' Anime Series
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake Heading to Nintendo Switch
- Veteran Voice Actress Maaya Sakamoto Joins All-New Fruits Basket Cast
- Hello Kitty to Return to TV Screens in 2021
- Yuri Fair 2019’s Key Visual Features 'Bloom Into You'
- Square Enix Files Trademarks to ‘Secret of Mana’ and ‘Final Fantasy Adventure’ in the United States
- ‘Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid’ Season 2 is Confirmed!
- ‘Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions - Take on Me!’ to be Available for Streaming on HIDIVE
- Mobile Suit Gundam NT to Screen in US Theaters for One Day Only
- Manga Horror Master Junji Ito to Make First North American Appearance
- Square Enix Files Trademark for Parasite Eve in the United Kingdom
- ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Film Earns US$32 Million in the United Kingdom and Selected Countries in Asia
- Rin Tohsaka VA Kana Ueda Hospitalized, Cancels US Appearances