It was reported on Wednesday by the newspaper Austrailian Financial Review that the anime division of Australian film distributor Madman Entertainment has been acquired by Aniplex of America for AU$35 million (estimate US$25million).
Founded in 1996 by Tim Anderson and Paul Wiegard, Madman is notable for distributing videos for Australia and New Zealand, as well as operating the anime streaming website AnimeLab which officially launched in 2014. The company has also organized their own event called Madman Anime Festival that started in 2016 and held in the cities of Brisbane, Perth, and Melbourne.
Aside from AnimeLab, Madman Entertainment also launched the dedicated subscription-based documentary streaming service DocPlay in which has over 130 titles on its launch. This services was funded by Screen Australia and is available to watch via web-browser, Chromecast, iOS, and Android.
The company was previously acquired by Funtastic Limited back in 2006 but decided to sell the company in 2014. Anderson and Wiegard bought back the company from them and since then has remained as an independent company.
Aniplex of America is a media production subsidiary of Sony. It has invested and held minority interest on Madman Entertainment since February 2018. The company had acquired a majority stake on the popular North American distributor Funimation back in 2017. The latter company officially ended its content-sharing partnership with anime streaming website Crunchyroll last November 2018 and is currently on a first-look streaming deal with streaming platform company, Hulu.
Hello Kitty to Return to TV Screens in 2021Feb 13, 11amSanrio’s iconic character, Hello Kitty, is set to star in a new TV series. On February 6 the company announced that its beloved character will star in a new TV series entitled The World of Hello Kitty.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Releases Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Luxury Watches
- Amazing Spider Man Director Marc Webb to Helm US Live Action Remake of Your Name
- Square Enix to Release 'Final Fantasy IX' on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch
- Atlus USA to Release 'Catherine: Full Body' Video Game for the West on September 3!
- VIZ Media Acquires License to Junji Ito's 'No Longer Human' Manga
- Sentai Filmworks to Produce English Dub for 'Kämpfer' Anime Series
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake Heading to Nintendo Switch
- Veteran Voice Actress Maaya Sakamoto Joins All-New Fruits Basket Cast
- Hello Kitty to Return to TV Screens in 2021
- Yuri Fair 2019’s Key Visual Features 'Bloom Into You'
- Square Enix Files Trademarks to ‘Secret of Mana’ and ‘Final Fantasy Adventure’ in the United States
- ‘Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid’ Season 2 is Confirmed!
- ‘Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions - Take on Me!’ to be Available for Streaming on HIDIVE
- Mobile Suit Gundam NT to Screen in US Theaters for One Day Only
- Manga Horror Master Junji Ito to Make First North American Appearance
- Square Enix Files Trademark for Parasite Eve in the United Kingdom
- ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Film Earns US$32 Million in the United Kingdom and Selected Countries in Asia
- Rin Tohsaka VA Kana Ueda Hospitalized, Cancels US Appearances