It was reported on Wednesday by the newspaper Austrailian Financial Review that the anime division of Australian film distributor Madman Entertainment has been acquired by Aniplex of America for AU$35 million (estimate US$25million).
Founded in 1996 by Tim Anderson and Paul Wiegard, Madman is notable for distributing videos for Australia and New Zealand, as well as operating the anime streaming website AnimeLab which officially launched in 2014. The company has also organized their own event called Madman Anime Festival that started in 2016 and held in the cities of Brisbane, Perth, and Melbourne.
Aside from AnimeLab, Madman Entertainment also launched the dedicated subscription-based documentary streaming service DocPlay in which has over 130 titles on its launch. This services was funded by Screen Australia and is available to watch via web-browser, Chromecast, iOS, and Android.
The company was previously acquired by Funtastic Limited back in 2006 but decided to sell the company in 2014. Anderson and Wiegard bought back the company from them and since then has remained as an independent company.
Aniplex of America is a media production subsidiary of Sony. It has invested and held minority interest on Madman Entertainment since February 2018. The company had acquired a majority stake on the popular North American distributor Funimation back in 2017. The latter company officially ended its content-sharing partnership with anime streaming website Crunchyroll last November 2018 and is currently on a first-look streaming deal with streaming platform company, Hulu.
- Sega Drops Yakuza 3 for PS4 in the West as Part of Yakuza Remastered Collection, 4 & 5 to Follow
- 1st PV, Main Cast, and October Premiere Revealed for Anime Adaptation of Mado Nozaki’s “Babylon” Novels
- Yuruyuri Celebrates 10th Anniversary With A Special OVA Release
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Launches Worldwide on September 3
- KyoAni Arsonist Could Possibly Escape Death Penalty Because of Mental Illness
- Haikyuu!! Announces New Cast Member & Premiere Date for Season 4, Reveals 2-Episode OVA
- New Key Visual Released for Upcoming ‘High School Fleet’ Anime Film
- Get Ready for Iceborne!: ‘Monster Hunter World: Iceborne’ Previews Glavenus and New Base Seliana
- Kizuna Ai Releases a Cover of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s “Kizunami”, Collaborates Again With Yasutaka Nakata
- October 11 2019 Premiere & Timeslot Announced for Original TV Anime “Kabukicho Sherlock”
- Japan’s King of Love Songs and Singer of “Kaguya-sama: Love is War” OP Expresses His Enjoyment of The Series
- High School Band on Which Sound! Euphonium Band Was Based On Wins Gold Medal In National Competition
- English Dub Trailer & Cast Revealed for Yuri Anime “Kase-san and Morning Glories” Blu-Ray
- Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino is Special Guest at Anime NYC
- New Teaser Trailer Released for Violet Evergarden Side-Story
- New Teaser Trailer & Visual Revealed for Wotakoi Live-Action Film
- Crowdfunded “Emma: A Victorian Romance” English-Dub Blu-ray Announces Additional Cast
- Clannad Developer Key, J-Rock Icon Yoshiki Donate 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation