News Writer: Raven
Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli’s timeless classic My Neighbor Totoro has already earned 173 million yuan in China as of the previous weekend. This total gross now makes it the second-highest grossing Japanese film in China for 2018, ranking below Eiga Doraemon: Nobita no Tarakajima, which was released on June 1, 2018 and earned a total of 209 million yuan. The first Ghibli film to ever receive a large-scale theatrical release in China, Totoro first opened in Chinese cinemas last December 14 and has been running in theaters since then. The said date is also the film’s 30th anniversary since its release in Japan.
During its premiere week, it earned 87 million yuan and closed as the second highest grosser for that week, closely following Hollywood superhero movie Aquaman. This impressive opening week for Totoro is testament to Miyazaki’s following in China. Despite the fact that most have already watched his films on DVD or the internet, people still flocked to cinemas to watch the digitally-restored version of one of his most beloved works.
Chinese distributor SCLA released the digitally-remastered version of the film, with both Chinese-subtitled Japanese audio and a Chinese-dubbed version available to filmgoers. With the success of Totoro in Chinese theaters, SCLA is reportedly negotiating the rights to release other Studio Ghibli films in China.
My Neighbor Totoro is the story of Satsuki and Mei and their interactions with friendly wood spirits in post-war rural Japan. Released in 1988, it is the third film that Hayao Miyazaki directed, after Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky. Since its release, the film has amassed numerous critical reviews, citations and a worldwide cult following, with its titular character Totoro becoming a cultural icon.
Hello Kitty to Return to TV Screens in 2021Feb 13, 11amSanrio’s iconic character, Hello Kitty, is set to star in a new TV series. On February 6 the company announced that its beloved character will star in a new TV series entitled The World of Hello Kitty.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Releases Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Luxury Watches
- Amazing Spider Man Director Marc Webb to Helm US Live Action Remake of Your Name
- Square Enix to Release 'Final Fantasy IX' on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch
- Atlus USA to Release 'Catherine: Full Body' Video Game for the West on September 3!
- VIZ Media Acquires License to Junji Ito's 'No Longer Human' Manga
- Sentai Filmworks to Produce English Dub for 'Kämpfer' Anime Series
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake Heading to Nintendo Switch
- Veteran Voice Actress Maaya Sakamoto Joins All-New Fruits Basket Cast
- Hello Kitty to Return to TV Screens in 2021
- Yuri Fair 2019’s Key Visual Features 'Bloom Into You'
- Square Enix Files Trademarks to ‘Secret of Mana’ and ‘Final Fantasy Adventure’ in the United States
- ‘Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid’ Season 2 is Confirmed!
- ‘Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions - Take on Me!’ to be Available for Streaming on HIDIVE
- Mobile Suit Gundam NT to Screen in US Theaters for One Day Only
- Manga Horror Master Junji Ito to Make First North American Appearance
- Square Enix Files Trademark for Parasite Eve in the United Kingdom
- ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Film Earns US$32 Million in the United Kingdom and Selected Countries in Asia
- Rin Tohsaka VA Kana Ueda Hospitalized, Cancels US Appearances