News Writer: Raven
Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli’s timeless classic My Neighbor Totoro has already earned 173 million yuan in China as of the previous weekend. This total gross now makes it the second-highest grossing Japanese film in China for 2018, ranking below Eiga Doraemon: Nobita no Tarakajima, which was released on June 1, 2018 and earned a total of 209 million yuan. The first Ghibli film to ever receive a large-scale theatrical release in China, Totoro first opened in Chinese cinemas last December 14 and has been running in theaters since then. The said date is also the film’s 30th anniversary since its release in Japan.
During its premiere week, it earned 87 million yuan and closed as the second highest grosser for that week, closely following Hollywood superhero movie Aquaman. This impressive opening week for Totoro is testament to Miyazaki’s following in China. Despite the fact that most have already watched his films on DVD or the internet, people still flocked to cinemas to watch the digitally-restored version of one of his most beloved works.
Chinese distributor SCLA released the digitally-remastered version of the film, with both Chinese-subtitled Japanese audio and a Chinese-dubbed version available to filmgoers. With the success of Totoro in Chinese theaters, SCLA is reportedly negotiating the rights to release other Studio Ghibli films in China.
My Neighbor Totoro is the story of Satsuki and Mei and their interactions with friendly wood spirits in post-war rural Japan. Released in 1988, it is the third film that Hayao Miyazaki directed, after Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky. Since its release, the film has amassed numerous critical reviews, citations and a worldwide cult following, with its titular character Totoro becoming a cultural icon.
See also: Fans Vote for the Most-Loved Yuri Anime
27th Crayon Shin-chan Film Releases New PVApr 17, 9amCrayon Shin-chan’s newest movie, Eiga Crayon Shin-chan Shinkon Ryokō Hurricane ~Ushinawareta Hiroshi~ (Crayon Shin-chan the Movie: Honeymoon Hurricane, Lost Hiroshi), has just released a new promotional video.
Smartphone Game ‘I★CHU’ Gets Anime AdaptationApr 15, 12amThe romance rhythm smartphone game titled I★CHU: Étoile Stage is confirmed to have an anime adaptation. No future details have released yet except for its key visual and official trailer confirming the anime.
‘Berserk’ Manga to Return from Hiatus This MonthApr 15, 12amAfter 8 months of hiatus, the popular manga series Berserk by Kentaro Miura is confirmed to return on the upcoming issue of Young Animal magazine in Japan. This news has been confirmed on the publication’s official website which reveals a teaser page of the upcoming 358th chapter of Griffith in full armor.
- ‘Dragon Ball GT Goku’ Enters ‘Dragon Ball FighterZ’ as DLC in May!
- Super Saiyan God Vegeta Enters ‘Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2’ as DLC
- Lone Wolf & Cub Creator, Longtime Manga Writer Kazuo Koike Passes Away at 82
- Violet Evergarden Film To Be Released on January 2020
- Ubisoft is Offering Assassin’s Creed Unity for Free After Notre Dame Fire
- Live-action of Saint Young Men Season 2 to Premiere on June 1
- 27th Crayon Shin-chan Film Releases New PV
- Lupin III Creator Monkey Punch Passes Away at 81
- “Secret” Teasers to the God of War Sequel Seen in 1st Anniv Celebration Content
- Rilakkuma Takes Off His Costume in New PV for Netflix’s Rilakkuma & Kaoru
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Sells 2 Million Copies In Just 10 Days
- 23rd Detective Conan Film Earns 1.9 Billion Yen in Three Days
- ‘Berserk’ Manga to Return from Hiatus This Month
- Smartphone Game ‘I★CHU’ Gets Anime Adaptation
- Love Live, Revue Starlight VA Mimori Suzuko Marries Pro-Wrestler Kazuchika Okada
- Rurouni Kenshin to Get Last Two Live-Action Movies in 2020
- New Trailer, Details Revealed for 3DCG Remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back Movie
- Kurosawa Dia VA Komiya Arisa to Skip Aqours Activities Due to Allergies