The parody series “Pop Team Epic” is now entering the world of smartphone gaming with a newly released gacha game.
Titled as “Takeshobo Quest: Pop Team Epic Assaults”, it is a self-described “crappy app” that is available for Android and iOS smartphones. The game has players taking control Popuko and Pipimi as they cut through endless waves of Takeshobo employees with a gacha mechanic that allows players to capture and recruit Takeshobo employees.
“Pop Tea, Epic” is a four-panel surreal comedy webcomic and digital manga series by self-professed “crappy manga boy” Bkub Okawa. It was in August 2014 that the series began serialization on Takeshobo’s Manga Life Win website. The series is currently running and had around two volumes released.
On February 18, 2016, a “second season” on the Manga Life Win website. Then on October 10, 2017, a “third season” was released.
The manga tells of two 14-year-old girls named Popuko and Pipimi as they go through misadventures involving a variety of both mundane and bizarre situations and respond to them in equally bizarre and exaggerated ways. With its frequent parodies of pop culture and its combination of surrealism, absurdity, and non-sequitur, the series has developed a cult following among both Japanese and Western audiences.
An anime adaptation of the series by Kamikaze Douga and produced by King Records was released in January 2018. The series ran for a total of 12 episodes before ending in March 2018. The series was directed by Aoi Umeki and Jun Aoki who worked on “Hanebad!” and “Oshiruko – The Summertime Mischief” respectively. The latter also worked on the series composition of the anime.
The series took on an animated skit format and featured a variety of animation styles, most often CGI, professional-looking 2D animation, and idiosyncratic animation from AC-bu. Another thing to note with the series is that it had a variety of voice actresses playing the main characters and had different opening and endings for a number of episodes.
Other than the manga, anime, and now game, the two girls have been seen featured in different marketing works. One of their most recent collaborations was with Japan Racing Association as a Pop Team Epic Kinen campaign was launched Umabi.jp website. During this campaign, users could create a customized avatar of either Popuko or Pipimi as a virtual spectator.
Source: Crunchyroll News
See also: Top 5 Manga to Check Out This Week
What We See so Far - "Heaven's Design Team"Dec 1, 10amSynopsis In this world, new and different animals are created by Heaven's Animal Design Department. Similar to working on commissions, these angels/designers spend their days coming up with new animal designs while contending with the unreasonable requests of their client: God.
General Impression: "Jingai-san no Yome"Nov 25, 9pmSynopsis High school student Tomari Hinowa was just a normal kid. That is until he is told one day that he is to become the wife of a mysterious creature called Kanenogi. Thus begins Tomari’s new life as a married student while trying to learn more about his mysterious partner.
- ‘Hypnosis Microphone’ is the Most Popular Voice Actor Account in Twitter Japan
- English Cast Announced for ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’ Anime Film
- ‘Monster Hunter: World’ Wins in PlayStation Awards 2018
- Cardcaptor Sakura and The Girl in Twilight Enter a Collaboration
- A Kemono Friends Credit Card is Now Offered by VISA
- What We See so Far - "Heaven's Design Team"
- What We see so Far - "They Say I Was Born a King's Daughter"
- Ryōma Takeuchi Stars in the Pokémon: Detective Pikachu Live-Action Film's Japanese Dub
- Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! Receives a Collaboration Cafe
- A Light Novel Recommendation: "Tensei Shitanode Tsugi Koso wa Shiawasena Jinsei wo Tsukande Misemashou"
- Pop Team Epic Takes on Smart Phone Gacha Gaming
- Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File Reveals a New Visual and Cast Member
- Pastel Memories Gains a Manga Adaptation Coming December
- Netflix Announces Live-Action ‘Cowboy Bebop’ Series in the Works
- New ‘Jump Force’ Game Trailer Features Kenshin and Shishio from ‘Rurouni Kenshin’!
- Deku Midoriya’s Popularity Drops in Recent ‘My Hero Academia’ Poll
- ‘A Silent Voice’ Anime Film to Rescreen in January
- Crowdfunding for ‘Spice & Wolf’ VR Anime Hits Goal in just 2 Hours