The hype is indeed very real! It was revealed on Tuesday in the official Twitter account of the My Hero Academia anime that the first anime film in the franchise My Hero Academia: Two Heroes has sold around 1.296 million tickets in the Japanese box office as of Monday earning it more than 1.6 billion yen (around US$14.1 million). In the tweet, it was also noted that the number “16” can also be read in Japanese as “hero”.
A report in Box Office Mojo confirms that the movie has earned a cumulative total of US$5,721,371 in North America making the 10th highest grossing anime film of all time in the region. As of October 2, the film had earned $5,117,633 after a week of screening the United States alone.
The first My Hero Academia film takes place after the Final Exam Arc during the “Forest Training Training Arc” set on “I Island”, a floating manmade movable city. It will be revealing a certain character’s unrevealed past as well as featuring the characters of Class A.
Original manga creator Kohei Horikoshi is chief supervisor of the film. He is also credited for the original story and character designs. The director of the anime at BONES Kenji Nagasaki is also the director of the film along with some returning staff like composer Yuuki Hayashi, character designer Yoshihiko Umakoshi, and scriptwriter Yousuke Kuroda. TOHO is officially distributing the film.
It was announced previously that Funimation will be screening the film in over 400 theaters in the United States and Canada on September 25, 26, 27, 29 and October 2. September 25, 27, and 29 screening will be in Japanese with English subtitles, while the September 26 and October 2 screenings will be English-dubbed.
Sony to Stop PS Vita Production SoonFeb 19, 10amThis year would probably be the beginning of a slow end for the PlayStation Vita as the production of the following unit models PCH-2000 ZA11 (Black) and PCH-2000 ZA23 (Aqua Blue) are scheduled to end production soon as Sony’s PlayStation’s official website states.
- Square Enix Announces New Smartphone Game “Last Idea”
- Kakegurui Live-Action Movie Releases New Trailer, Premiere Date
- New Fruits Basket Trailer Released in Japanese Dub, Justin Cook Returns as English VA of Hatsuharu
- Original animé Carole & Tuesday Reveals Full PV, Series to Stream Exclusively on Netflix
- New Trailer for 23rd 'Detective Conan' Film Features Theme Song by Hiroomi Tosaka
- Video Game 'SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy' is Heading to PC
- First Season Episodes of 'Attack on Titan' and 'My Hero Academia' are Removed from Crunchyroll
- Obito Uchiha is Featured in New 'Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker' Trailer
- Red Cross Japan Collaborates Anew with Cells at Work
- Princess Mononoke to Release a Collector’s Edition Set on May 14
- Aya Hirano is Coming to Quebec as Guest for Nadeshicon!
- The ‘Code Geass’ Recap Film Trilogy is Now Available for Digital Purchase!
- Sony to Stop PS Vita Production Soon
- Alita Creator Yukito Kishiro Praises Live-Action Adaptation of His Work as “The Greatest Movie in the World”
- FUNimation to Screen 1st Two Episodes of Fruits Basket Reboot in US Theaters
- Convention AnimeNEXT Announces MAPPA’s ‘Banana Fish’ Anime Staff as Guests
- Cardcaptor Sakura Launches Smartphone Game Based on Its Clear Card Arc
- Laura Bailey, Jerry Jewell Returns as Tohru & Kyo’s English Voice Actors for Fruits Basket Reboot