In Kyoto, Japan there is a small bar called “Nobu.” While at first glance it may seem like any other traditional Japanese bar, the truth is, is that the bar is connected to another world and denizens and customers from there seek out the bar’s excellent “Toriaezu Nama” ale and cuisine.
The interesting thing about the work is that it took more on the light novel’s art style rather than the manga. It certainly brought a brought tone to the series and helped in bringing out different scenes such as when the characters enter Nobu and the food is served. Then there is the way that the character’s enjoyment of the food and drinks, which was creative to say the least. Other than this, the series gave a solid introduction and had a slight old style to it in terms of presentation.
As a fan of the manga/novel which this series was adapted from, this is a pretty disappointing adaptation to the work. Not only were there unnecessary aspects added in but the overall tone that made the manga so interesting was completely flipped over here. Honestly, the change in tone and the added effects can be somewhat ignored; what cannot be ignored is the way that it places exaggerations where there shouldn’t be.
An example of this would be when Hans tries hot sake for the first time. In the manga, it was a pretty simple scene that showed how much the character enjoyed simply through his expressions and short description of the drink. Here the anime decided to add an extra scene that had practically revering the drink and having this strange imagery of gods and such being brought out. It was strange and seemed out of place to say the least. Other than this and to a lesser degree was the live portion towards the end and the clear goal of the work.
There are some good points to the work such as its art and creativity, but it doesn’t change the fact that there were multiple points that disappointed this writer. Mainly, that it flipped the tone of the series around and added additional scenes that just seem out of place for the character. However, given that this is an ONA and that it clearly meant to give promotion to izakaya and the meals they offer, there is some understanding on how the work turned out. In the end, only time will tell if this work will improve or whether it will only be the manga that truly shows how great this series actually is.
See also: Top 5 Manga to Check Out This Week
What We See so Far - "Heaven's Design Team"Dec 1, 10amSynopsis In this world, new and different animals are created by Heaven's Animal Design Department. Similar to working on commissions, these angels/designers spend their days coming up with new animal designs while contending with the unreasonable requests of their client: God.
General Impression: "Jingai-san no Yome"Nov 25, 9pmSynopsis High school student Tomari Hinowa was just a normal kid. That is until he is told one day that he is to become the wife of a mysterious creature called Kanenogi. Thus begins Tomari’s new life as a married student while trying to learn more about his mysterious partner.
- ‘Hypnosis Microphone’ is the Most Popular Voice Actor Account in Twitter Japan
- English Cast Announced for ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’ Anime Film
- ‘Monster Hunter: World’ Wins in PlayStation Awards 2018
- Cardcaptor Sakura and The Girl in Twilight Enter a Collaboration
- A Kemono Friends Credit Card is Now Offered by VISA
- What We See so Far - "Heaven's Design Team"
- What We see so Far - "They Say I Was Born a King's Daughter"
- Ryōma Takeuchi Stars in the Pokémon: Detective Pikachu Live-Action Film's Japanese Dub
- Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! Receives a Collaboration Cafe
- A Light Novel Recommendation: "Tensei Shitanode Tsugi Koso wa Shiawasena Jinsei wo Tsukande Misemashou"
- Pop Team Epic Takes on Smart Phone Gacha Gaming
- Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File Reveals a New Visual and Cast Member
- Pastel Memories Gains a Manga Adaptation Coming December
- Netflix Announces Live-Action ‘Cowboy Bebop’ Series in the Works
- New ‘Jump Force’ Game Trailer Features Kenshin and Shishio from ‘Rurouni Kenshin’!
- Deku Midoriya’s Popularity Drops in Recent ‘My Hero Academia’ Poll
- ‘A Silent Voice’ Anime Film to Rescreen in January
- Crowdfunding for ‘Spice & Wolf’ VR Anime Hits Goal in just 2 Hours