As of Thursday, the live-action television adaptation for the mahjong gambling series “Akagi” has been confirmed for a debut in the next year. Titled “Akagi: Washizu Mahjong Kanketsu-hen” a.k.a. “Akagi: Washizu Mahjong Concluding Chapter”, the upcoming miniseries will be having three episodes.
The news was officially announced by the staff of the production, which include Hitoshi Iwamoto as the director and Mitsuru Kubota as the producer. Acting as the scriptwriter of the new live-action work is Mitsuru Tanabe.
Adapted from the manga series created by Nobuyuki Fukumoto, it tells the tale of one Shigeru Akagi and his entrance into the word of mahjong gambling. After escaping authorities in the aftermath of a death-defying game of chicken in an evening of 1958, he manages to shake them off by nonchalantly entering in a yakuza mahjong parlor.
Though unfamiliar with the game’s mechanics, Akagi manages to make it far with his gambling intuition and as the night progresses, he goes as far as gaining a match against other yakuza members. Upon defeating blind professional player Ichikawa, Akagi gaines a mythical status at 13 only to disappear afterwards. But as the years pass and Akagi turns 19, he isn’t able to escape the world of mahjong gambling any longer.
Starring as the live-action version of the protagonist is Kanata Hongou, who played as Ryoma Echizen in the live-action film adaptation of “The Prince of Tennis.” Masahiko Tsugawa, who played the role of Hotsuma Raido in “Ultraman Ginga” will be playing as the antagonist Iwao Washizu.
Taking the role of Takeshi Oogi is Youji Tanaka, the actor behind, Fukugawa Sainosuke in “Hana Moyu.” Lastly, playing as the policeman Yasuoka is Satoshi Jinbo, who played a role in the “Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Wizard & Fourze Movie Taisen Ultimatum” film.
The manga series was first released in 1992 and serialized by Takeshobo’s Kindai Mahjong magazine. Most recently, the series got its 34th volume published by the magazine on April 15 and collectively, a total of 12 million copies was circulated worldwide. After 27 years, the manga series will be ending in February of the next year.
In the course of its run, the series has inspired a 2005 anime series, a 2015 live-action series and coming on October 13, there will be a second season released.
A ‘Monogatari’ Exhibit will be Held in Anime Expo! Jun 19, 12amTo those who are going to the Anime Expo weekend, you are in luck as Vertical, Inc. will be bringing NisiOisin’s Monotagari art exhibit to the convention. This will also include cool artwork from VOFAN, the franchise’s novel illustrator.
Production IMS Considers Filing For Bankruptcy Jun 12, 3amIn a report on Monday released by the credit research company Tokyo Shoko Research (TSR) revealed that the anime production studio Production IMS has started consolidating their debt as of June 7. Based on an unnamed source, TSR stated that the staff will be entering legal proceedings and is considering to file for bankruptcy.
New ‘Gintama’ Anime to Air on July 8! Jun 4, 9amIt was confirmed in the wraparound jacket band on the 73rd volume of the Gintama manga on Monday that the new anime series will premiere on July 8. The precious series aired in Japan last October which started with the “Porori Arc” story which was followed by the “Silver Soul” arc aired on January 7.
- PS4 Version of ‘Clannad’ to Launch in the U.S. This Week!
- Nintendo Switch Version of ‘Dragon Ball FighterZ’ Slated to be Released in the West on September 28!
- Ichigo, Rukia, and Uryu Featured in Three New Trailers of Live-Action ‘Bleach’ Movie
- Visual and VR Video Released for Live-Action ‘Saint Young Men’ Series
- Comedy Manga ‘Back Street Girls’ Returns from Hiatus!
- A ‘Monogatari’ Exhibit will be Held in Anime Expo!
- My Sweet Tyrant Anime's Second Cour Arrives on June 29
- Bee and PuppyCat Returns with Co-Production by Berserk's OLM
- Live-Action ‘Bleach’ Movie Releases Three New TV Ads!
- Crayon Shin-chan's Title Role goes to Yumiko Kobayashi
- Production IMS Considers Filing For Bankruptcy
- ‘Pirates of the Carribean’ World Featured in New ‘Kingdom Hearts III’ Trailer!
- ‘Fist of the North Star’ Game to Release in the West In October
- New Trailer for ‘Kingdom Hearts III’ Released, Previews of ‘Frozen’ World Unveiled!
- ‘Fate/Extra Last Encore’ Anime Special ‘Illustrias Geocentrism’ to Premiere on July 29!
- New ‘Gintama’ Anime to Air on July 8!
- ‘Moshi Moshi, Terumi Desu’ Anime Adaptation to Premiere on June 8 in Anime Beans App
- An 'Unprecedented Important Announcement' is Coming up for the Baki Franchise on June 9