Hard to believe but yes—the original creators of the Death Note manga namely Takeshi Obata and Tsugumi Ohba have praised the live-action film adaptation of Death Note produced by Netflix.
To quote Ohba, “It was more interesting that I expected. Every bit of it is high quality and very fashionable, it’s definitely Hollywood’s Death Note. I think a wide range of people can enjoy this movie, not just fans, because there are parts that follow the original work but also changes too.” He then continued that, “I hope people overseas who did not know Death note until now can enjoy watching it on Netflix”. As a way to show their praise on the Western adaptation, Obata released a drawing of Nat Wolff (Light Turner) and Ryuk.
When the Netflix live-action film adaptation of Death Note was previewed in San Diego Comic Con, there were a lot of mixed opinions most especially to those who have read the original manga series as well as those who have followed the anime. When the trailers were streamed, online commenters have reacted mostly negative due to the plot change and the character name changes.
The movie is slated to premiere on Netflix on August 25.
For those who are expecting much for this adaptation, this has a lot of major changes and differences from the original manga series. The names of the characters have changed like Light Turner played by Nat Wolff (instead of Light Yagami), James Turner (Shea Whigham), and Mia Sutton (Margaret Qualley). The film will also star Paul Nakauchi playing the role of Watari.
Trailer for film can be seen below:
In the original Death Note manga, Light Yagami was just an ordinary boy living a normal ordinary life. Everything seemed to have turned different when he found the Death Note, a supernatural notebook that kills anyone by just writing their name. The time that he found the notebook was also the time he was acquainted with the shinigami named Ryuk.
Light uses the Death Note to put criminals and unlawful people to their death. This took the attention of L, a detective who does what he can to investigate on the mysterious deaths caused by this person being called as “Kira”.
With the live-action film to be released in just two weeks, let’s hope that this would be something worth watching regardless of the major changes from its original content.
Source: Comic Natalie
See also: First Impression: Juuni Taisen
Top 5 New Fall Anime to Check Out for the WeekOct 13, 11amEvery season brings a new anime and for the fall season there is a number of fantasy, comedy and action series to be enjoyed with interesting plots to add to them.
Top 5 New Openings For the WeekOct 15, 11amA new season, new anime and that means new songs to add to one’s musical list.
First Impression: Taisshou Chichai-sanOct 13, 12pmSynopsis A young man by the name of Hiiragi Kyouichirou was heading to Tokyo in order to study in university, but due to stray thought and possibly his family sword, he ends up getting involved in a plot for the Imperial Army The Good For such a short episode, the fact that it was able to cram in as much detail as it did while also slipping in some pinches of comedy is worthy of a thumbs up.
Initial First Impression: Infini-T ForceOct 15, 9pmSynopsis Based on the series of the same name, this is a different take on the original story involving a young girl able to summon heroes from another world.
- Banette, Sableye, and More Hoenn Pokemon are Coming Your Way in Pokemon GO!
- An Anime Short Campaign is Launched by Rock Band Kūsō Iinkai
- The ‘Seven Deadly Sins’ Ranked at #4 in Netflix’s Most Watched Shows
- English Dub Clips Revealed for ‘Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto’!
- Mob Psycho 100 Turns Live-action with a Confirmed Staff and Cast Member
- Action Scenes and More Heroes are Revealed for Fire Emblem: Warriors via Trailer
- "KiraKira Precure" Confirms a "Maho Girls" Cameo in its Film
- The Ghibli Museum Features A Sequel of ‘My Neighbor Totoro’
- Netflix Confirms Productions of “30 New Anime Series” for 2018
- Popular Smartphone Game ‘Granblue Fantasy’ Gets New Anime Series!
- Media Company Broccoli Confirms 70% Profit Drop in its 1st Half of Fiscal Year
- Initial First Impression: Infini-T Force
- Bungou Stray Dogs Holds a 2 Season Screening this November
- New Manga Thoughts: The Duke of Death and His Black Maid
- Top 5 New Openings For the Week
- Street Fighter V Reveals a New Ninja Character for October
- First Impression: Juuni Taisen
- A Collaboration Movie Between Boruto and Lope and Akira is Coming Soon