The premiere week of Sonic The Hedgehog film has been awesome so far as the website Box Office Mojo reported on Tuesday that film has earned US $70,002,074 so far. Let’s not forget that it has been four days since the movie’s official premiere date in the United States.
Adding up the over-all gross sales so far from the 41 countries outside of the US, the film as so far earned USD $125,589,459! The movie is slated to premiere in Japan on March 27, titled as Sonic The Movie.
Sonic the Hedgehog was originally intended to be released last year, but the dates have been pushed back to make way for major design reworks. The film is produced by Tim Miller (Deadpool), Toby Ascher, and Neal Moritz (Fast & Furious movie franchise). The film is directed by Jeff Fowler.
The original voice of Sonic for the film will be done by Ben Schwartz. It also stars James Marden and Tika Sumpter. Popular Hollywood actor Jim Carey will be playing the role of antagonist Dr. Robotnik.
Japanese Live-action actor Taishi Nakagawa will be voicing the Japanese voice of Sonic. Other cast members announced include Marina Inoue as Maddie, Kōichi Yamadera as Dr. Robotnik, and Yūichi Nakamura as Sheriff Tom. Nakagawa is notable for playing the role of Arata Kaizaki from the Japanese live-action film adaptation of the popular ReLIFE manga by Yayoiso.
Paramount Pictures describes the upcoming film as such:
Sonic tries to navigate the complexities of life on Earth with his newfound best friend — a human named Tom Wachowski. They must soon join forces to prevent the evil Dr. Robotnik from capturing Sonic and using his powers for world domination.
The first Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer was released on April 30th. The original video is now long gone, and it was set to private on YouTube. Upon seeing that trailer for the first time, it honestly was a complete cringe. The design of Sonic was just totally different—and it’s no question why a lot of people hated this. In just the first 24 hours, the video gathered more than 200,000 dislikes.
After the major backlash, there were various mixed opinions on Sonic. Some say that they should give this movie a chance because it may be something worth watching in the end. Others just didn’t bother and said that seeing the trailer and Sonic’s design alone was enough for them not to watch it in theaters.
The design of Sonic was previously leaked in a branding deck in the website of an advertising agency Hamagami/Caroll, Inc. The design that were released in these matches with the original design that was previewed in the first Sonic the Hedgehog trailer.
Producer Tim Miller released a statement last year in relation to the difference of his design like his fur and stating that his quills are different from actual hedgehogs. He said the following:
“It would be weird and it would feel like he was running around nude if he was some sort of otter-like thing. It was always, for us, fur, and we never considered anything different. It’s part of what integrates him into the real world and makes him a real creature.”
Producer Neal Mortiz also made a statement about Sonic’s shoes (initial design) saying:
“We looked at every different variation of what shoes he’s worn and we’re trying to pay homage to that and also make it current and present day in what we think a Sonic of today would wear.”
Later on in an interview released by entertainment website Variety, Miller that he agrees with the fans in regards to Sonic’s initial design and was willing to delay the film to do some rework. He said,
“Look, I was with fans and so was Jeff. When the s–t hit the fan, I went over there and said, “The most important thing to do, man, is say, ‘I f–ked up.’”
He also said that he praised Jeff Fowler for quick action on the feedback from fans.
“He’d already sent a tweet out an hour before I got there. He’s a good man. It was exactly the right way to handle that. The fans have a voice in this too. There’s a right way to listen.”
In relation to the film’s delayed premiere, he is confident that everything will pay off saying: “I think the fans will be pleased.”
Be sure to watch the film!
Now You Can Watch ‘My Hero Academia’ for FREE! Mar 27, 5amWhile all of us are still in our homes staying safe from the Coronavirus pandemic, we are giving you this good news. As of this month, the fourth season of My Hero Academia is still ongoing in Japan. For those who are stuck at home and want to rewatch or catch-up on the anime, you can…FOR FREE.
Free Comic Book Day 2020 PostponedMar 20, 5pmSome sad news for those who are looking forward for this year’s Free Comic Book Day. It was announced on Thursday by Diamond Comic Distributors that the event will be postponed due to the current Coronavirus pandemic.
Specs of the PlayStation 5 have Been Revealed! Mar 19, 7pmAlthough the recent PlayStation 5 reveal event felt like a formal lecture in a typical college classroom, the important thing here is the specs for one of the highly anticipated gaming consoles have been released.
Re:ZERO Gets Smartphone Game This YearMar 24, 6amThe second season may have been delayed but at least we’re gonna get Subaru and the gang in our smartphones soon.
- Season 2 Confirmed for “Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side-Story”
- Theme Song Artists, Episode 1 Stills Revealed for “Fruits Basket” Season 2
- Crunchyroll to Stream ‘Fruits Basket’ Season 2 to its Anime Spring Lineup
- New ‘Pokemon Sword and Shield’ Trailer Features ‘The Isle of Armor Expansion’
- VIZ Releases ‘My Hero: Academia: Heroes Rising’ Manga Chapter in English!
- ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ Tops Japan’s Recent Video Game Rankings!
- Now You Can Watch ‘My Hero Academia’ for FREE!
- Crunchyroll to Stream Second Season of Re:ZERO in July
- Baseball Girls Anime “Tamayomi” Previews Opening Theme Song
- “Tower of God” Releases Preview of Opening Theme Song Sung by KPop Boyband Stray Kids
- New “Intermission” Video and a Gorgeous New Visual Released for Upcoming “Violet Evergarden” Movie
- More Returning Cast Announced for Live-Action “Rurouni Kenshin” Films, ONE OK ROCK Returns to Sing Theme Song
- New Visuals, January 2021 Premiere Revealed for “Laid-Back Camp” Season 2
- Re:ZERO Gets Smartphone Game This Year
- 1st Promo Video & Key Visual Revealed for “Irregular at Magic High School” Season 2
- Promo Video for “Cells at Work!” Season 2 Reveals January 2021 Premiere, New Movie to Screen in September
- New Video Previews “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba” Smartphone Game
- Promo Video for New “Higurashi: When They Cry” Anime Project Reveals July Premiere, Returning Staff & Cast