This Tuesday, Toei Animation announced that the first 41 episodes of the 1986 Saint Seiya anime have just been added to Netflix’s growing roster of anime titles. The Netflix release also features an all-new English dub cast, and is available to the streaming service’s users in North America, New Zealand, and Australia. There is no word yet if the series will also be made available outside the specified territories.
The classic anime series is currently seeing a resurgence in recent months; just last July 19, Netflix premiered a 12-episode 3DCG anime remake entitled Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac. Just last May, Toei also announced that a live-action Hollywood film has been greenlit, which the studio will co-produce along with Chinese distribution company A Really Good Film (ARGF) Company. The live-action film, which has yet to announce a cast or release date, will be directed by Polish director Tomek Baginski. Baginski directed the Academy Award-winning short animation “Katedra”. ARGF’s Jeffrey Chan and Toei Animation’s Yoshi Ikezawa and Joseph Chou are named as producers, while Toei’s Kozo Morishita, Convergence Entertainment’s Tim Kwok, Miguel Faura, and series author Masami Kurumada will serve as executive producers.
Saint Seiya is a manga series written by Masami Kurumada. It was first released in 1986 in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump magazine from its debut until its finale in 1990. It has inspired a number of animated series, OVAs, anime films, and spinoff projects. Netflix describes the animé’s story as such:
“Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya follows modern day adventures of young warriors called “Knights”, who are sworn protectors of the reincarnated Greek goddess Athena. Each Knights wears a powerful armor based on their chosen zodiac constellation, and are called Knights of the Zodiac. They aid Athena in her battle against powerful Olympian gods who are bent on destroying the humankind.”
Source: Anime News Network
- ‘Kimetsu no Yaiba’ Manga has Conquered Japan’s Weekly Manga Top 19!
- English Dub Cast of ‘BEASTARS’ Anime Revealed!
- Tokyo Train Event of ‘Final Fantasy VII Remake’ is Cancelled Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus
- The Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX and HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Games are Released on Xbox One!
- There will “Likely” Be a Shortage of Nintendo Switch in U.S. and Europe Due to COVID-19
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Film Going Fast with Box Office Gross Now at $70 Million in Just 4 Days
- Funimation Streams English-Dubbed Trailer of “My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising” Anime Film
- “Quintessential Quintuplets” Season 2 to be Helmed by New Director & Studio, Set for October Release
- US and Canada Gets Theatrical Screenings for Daisuke Igarashi’s “Children of the Sea” Anime Film
- Yosuke Eguchi Returns to Play Hajime Saito + Mackenyu Joins Cast of Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin “Final Chapter” Films
- Promo Video, Preview of OP Song, New Visual Revealed for “My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU” Season 3
- 2nd Promo Video Released for New Anime Project for Boys-Love Series “Sekaiichi Hatsukoi”
- New Visual, Release Date Revealed for Upcoming Film for Musical Boys-Love Anime “given”
- New Trailer Released for Live-Action Film Adaptation of Boys-Love Manga “The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese”
- Promotional Video Released for Upcoming Baseball Girls Anime “Tamayomi”
- Sonic the Hedgehog Film’s USD 57 Million Opening Earnings Make it the Best Video Game Movie Debut Ever in US
- ‘Demon Slayer’ Volume 19 Manga is the 3rd Manga to Sell Over 1 Million Copies on its First Week
- ‘My Hero Academia’ Tops the U.S. Monthly Bookscan January List at #2!