Missed (cursing at) Kyuubey? Get ready as anime studio SHAFT is set to bring us back to the world of tragic magical girls! It was announced earlier this year that the Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side-Story, a spin-off smartphone game of the Puella Magi Madoka Magica series, is getting an anime adaptation and is set for a release this year. Unfortunately, we’d have to wait a wee bit longer, as it was announced during the game’s second anniversary celebrations that the anime’s release will be delayed to January 2020.
Don’t worry though, as a new teaser PV was released for the upcoming anime, which could hopefully tide us over ‘til 2020. Check it out below!
— マギアレコード公式 (@magireco) September 8, 2019
The PV also previews the anime’s opening theme song, “Gomakashi (Deception)”, which is performed by trio TrySail. The still-unnamed ED, on the other hand, will be sung by mysterious pop duo ClariS, who also sung Puella Magi Madoka Magica’s iconic OP, “connect”.
Furthermore, a new character was also announced during the event. Kuroe, an in-anime original character, will be voiced by none other than voice acting legend Kana Hanazawa, known for her roles such as Nisekoi’s Kosaki Onodera and Quintessential Quintuplets’ Ichika Nakano, among many others. \
Hanazawa joins the other confirmed cast for the anime, listed below:
• Momo Asakura as Iroha Tamaki
• Sora Amamiya as Yachiyo Nanami
• Shiina Natsukawa as Tsuruno Yui
• Ayane Sakura as Felicia Mitsuki
• Yui Ogura as Sana Futaba
• Mikako Komatsu as Momoko Togame
• Ayaka Ohashi as Kaede Akino
• Kaori Ishihara as Rena Minami
The original cast of Puella Magi Madoka Magica such as Aoi Yuki (Kaname Madoka) and Chiwa Saito (Akemi Homura) will also be returning to the new anime series in some capacity.
Anime News Network describes Magia Record’s story as such:
“[The story] takes place in the burgeoning city of Kamihama. Guided by a strange power, magical girls gather in this town and battle with a new power drawn from witches. Iroha Tamaki arrives in this town and joins other magical girls to search for her missing younger sister Ui. Before long, Homura Akemi also arrives in the town. “If I can understand the mystery of this town, maybe I can save Kaname.”
Iroha Tamaki becomes a magical girl with a wish to save her sister from illness. Madoka also arrives in Kamihama to search for her missing friend Homura.”
SHAFT will be animating the series, under the direction and script supervision of Gekidan Inu Curry. Junichiro Taniguchi returns as chief animation director, as well as Madoka Magica series director Yukihiro Miyamoto who will now be assistant director. Music will be composed by Takumi Ozawa (sadly we won’t be getting Yuki Kajiura here). Original work is still credited to the Magica Quartet aka director Akiyuki Shinbou, writer Gen Urobochi, character designer Ume Aoki, and producer Atsuhiro Iwakami.
Source: Anime News Network
Japanese VAs Announce their Marriages: Kana Hanazawa & Kensho Ono, Nana Mizuki, Kenjiro Tsuda Jul 8, 5am
GKIDS Acquires Studio Ghibli’s First 3DCG Film “Earwig and the Witch”, Set for 2021 N. American Release Jul 8, 4am
After COVID-19 Delay, New “Higurashi When They Cry” Anime Project Now Slated For October 2020 ReleaseJul 7, 5am
Netflix’s Live-Action Adaptation of “Cowboy Bebop” Gets Green Light to Film Again in New ZealandJul 6, 5am
- No Turnips Required: ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ Remains #1 in Recent Japanese Video Game Rankings
- Anime Convention ‘Anime Matsuri’ is Rescheduled for 2021
- Museum that Replicates Osamu Tezuka’s Former Home is Now Open
- ‘My Hero Academia’ Manga Series Ranks at #20 on 2019 U.S. BookScan List
- The 21st Volume of ‘Demon Slayer’ Manga Sold 2 Million Copies in Just 3 Days!
- 14-Year Old Middle School Student Wins Audition to Sing Theme Song of “Deemo” Anime Film
- The End is Near for “Haikyuu!” As Manga Enters “Climax” of Final Arc
- Japanese VAs Announce their Marriages: Kana Hanazawa & Kensho Ono, Nana Mizuki, Kenjiro Tsuda
- GKIDS Acquires Studio Ghibli’s First 3DCG Film “Earwig and the Witch”, Set for 2021 N. American Release
- “Ahiru no Sora” Manga Author Expresses Dislike for Anime Adaptation of His Series
- After COVID-19 Delay, New “Higurashi When They Cry” Anime Project Now Slated For October 2020 Release
- New Teaser Video for Live-Action “Kiss Him, Not Me” Film Focuses on Asuma Mutsumi
- Bushiroad’s “D4DJ Groovy Mix” Rhythm Game Gets Global Release
- Netflix’s Live-Action Adaptation of “Cowboy Bebop” Gets Green Light to Film Again in New Zealand
- Promo Video, Key Visual, New Cast Members Revealed for “Cells at Work” Anime Film
- The Latest Summer Update Patch for ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ is Now Available!
- Ghibli Museum to Slowly Reopen to the Public in September
- ‘Dr. Stone’ Season 2 to Air in January 2021, New Trailer Teases ‘Stone Wars’ Arc