Calling all fujoshi out there! Popular boys’ love manga Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi (World’s Greatest First Love) is getting a new anime adaptation! This good news was revealed to be a celebration of the fifth anniversary of Kadokawa’s Emerald magazine, where the manga is currently being serialized.
Emerald is a boys’ love magazine launched in 2014, and it was based on the in-story magazine featured in the manga—if you will remember, main couple Ritsu and Masamune work in a magazine of the same name.
The announcement did not specify the form Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi’s anime adaptation will take, but it did mention that the upcoming project is set to adapt the Proposal arc of the manga. Details such as release date and the studio that will handle the upcoming anime adaptation are yet to be released.
Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi is a boys’ love manga written and illustrated by Shungiku Nakamura. It was first published in 2006 in Kadokawa’s The Ruby magazine and then moved to Asuka Ciel in 2009. In 2014, the manga eventually settled in Emerald magazine, debuting in the magazine’s maiden issue.
In 2011, the manga was adapted into a 24-episode anime series by Studio Deen and under the direction of Chiaki Kon. The first season aired from April to June of that year, with the second season airing from October to December of that same year as well. Kon also directed the anime adaptation of another popular boys’ love manga, Junjou Romantica, which was also the work of Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi’s author.
The story revolves around Ritsu Onodera, a literary editor who resigned from his father’s publishing company because of his coworkers’ jealousy. He gets accepted at Marukawa Publishing but is assigned to the company’s infamous shoujo manga department, where he meets Masamune Takano. Strict, intolerable, and almost tyrannical, Takano initially nearly drives Ritsu into resigning but inadvertently pushes him to stay after calling him “useless”. Ritsu’s pride is hurt so he decides to stay and prove himself to his demanding boss. Later on, he finds out that Takano was his older schoolmate from high school who he had a brief relationship with. It turns out that Takano still has feelings for Ritsu and he vows that he will make Ritsu fall in love with him again.
Source: Anime News Network
- Toonami to Premiere Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba on October 12
- Live-Action “Hell Girl” Film Previews Theme Song in New Trailer, Reveals New Poster
- Nintendo Previews Gameplay of Upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake
- New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake Previews Turks, Don Corneo
- Atlus Reveals Opening Movie for Persona 5 Royal
- Score a Date with a Finger-Lickin’ Good Colonel Sanders in Dating Simulator Game by KFC
- Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of the Underworld Premiere Date Set on October 12
- Kaguya-sama Film Puts an End to Weathering With You’s 8-Week Box Office Domination
- New Trailer & Details Revealed for OVA Adaptation of Yuri Manga “Fragtime”
- New PV, Release Date & Other Details Revealed for Madoka Magica Side-Story Anime
- Devil May Cry 2 Gets a Nintendo Switch Release on September 19
- Violet Evergarden Film Delayed from Original January 2020 Opening
- 2019 Premiere of Yuri!!! On Ice Anime Film Postponed
- Crowdfunding Launched for Karakai Jozu no Takagi-San VR Anime
- One Piece Creator Eiichiro Oda: “I Want to End One Piece Manga in Five Years”
- Cast of Netflix’s Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Currently Prepping in New Zealand
- New Details Revealed on Upcoming Remake of Cooking Master Boy
- K-ON’s Houkago Tea Time Make Surprise Appearance at Animelo Summer Live 2019