Lupin III is back, and he looks sleeker than ever in his first 3D CG film! TOHO has just revealed a trailer for the movie Lupin III THE FIRST, affording us all a look at how our favorite thieves will look like in 3D CG. If you’re used to seeing him in the usual animation style and have reservations about this film, worry not as Lupin’s first foray into 3D CG is in good hands. Takashi Yamazaki, who directed Stand By Me Doraemon and Dragon Quest: Your Story among others, will be directing and writing Lupin III THE FIRST. Check out the trailer below!
The film’s official website and social media accounts also revealed that the film will be released in Japanese theaters on December 6, 2019. No plot details have been revealed for the movie yet, but we do get a teaser visual from the film’s official Twitter account. The tweet, translated into English, states that, “It has been 40 years since the masterpiece ‘The Castle of Cagliostro.’ A new Lupin by Takashi Yamazaki that nobody has ever seen will appear.” Below is the accompanying teaser visual with the tagline, “Well, let’s begin.”
While Lupin III’s creator Monkey Punch has passed away last April, the film’s official website posted an October 2018 message from the beloved manga author. In the message, Monkey Punch (Kazuhiko Kato in real life) reveals how excited he is for the new film and is eager to see how this fresh take on his character would turn out.
Lupin III debuted as a manga series in 1967 and was eventually adapted into a television anime series in 1971. Since then, Lupin III has gone on to become a highly-successful franchise, spawning six animated TV series, eight films, several video games, and other iterations for TV and other media.
Source: Anime News Network
- Fire Breaks Out in Kyoto Animation Studio Due to Arson, Multiple Deaths Confirmed
- Warner Bros. Puts Production of Live-Action Adaptation of Akira “On Hold Indefinitely”
- Pokemon GO Announces Collab with One Piece in Support of Kumamoto Prefecture
- San Diego Comic-Con To Hold Guinness Attempt for Largest People Performing “Kamehameha”
- Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight Gets 3rd Stage Musical in 2020
- “Sonic the Hedgehog” Producer Tim Miller Confident that Sonic’s Redesign Will Please Fans
- ‘My Hero Academia’ Once Again Tops Monthly Bookscan List for June
- Video Preview of Chihayafuru Season 3’s Opening Theme Released
- Persona 5 Gets a Stage Play Adaptation This December
- Lupin III Gets First-Ever 3D CG Anime Film
- Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Announced, Slated for a September 20 Release
- Opening Animation for Gundam Battle: Gunpla Warfare Smartphone Game Released
- Johnny Kitagawa, Founder of Boyband Empire Johnny & Associates, Dies at 87
- New Trailer Released for the Digimon 20th Anniversary Movie
- IDOLiSH7 Returns for a Second Season in 2020
- Visual & Premiere Date Released for New “My Hero Academia” Film, Manga Author Says It Will Be The Last Film
- Carole & Tuesday Set for a Worldwide Netflix Release on August 30
- Funimation Announces US Screenings for “Love Live! Sunshine!! School Idol Movie Over the Rainbow”