American distributor Funimation announced at their Anime Expo panel this Thursday that they will be holding US screenings for idol anime movie Love Live! Sunshine!! School Idol Movie Over the Rainbow. According to them, the film will open in the US on August 5. As of this writing, Funimation has not yet announced the screening locations for the film.
The movie was reported to have crossed the 1 billion yen mark in terms of ticket sales in Japan. According to reports, the movie achieved this huge milestone on February 22, eight weeks since its release on January 4. Over the Rainbow was first reported to have sold 500,000 tickets in just 25 days.
The regular and special limited-edition Blu-ray sets will be released on July 26, 2019 in Japan. The special limited-edition release will retail in Japan for 9,800 yen or USD 87.55.
Love Live! Sunshine!! School Idol Movie Over the Rainbow was helmed by most of the staff from the anime series. Kazuo Sakai returned as director for Sunrise, who produced the movie. Jukki Hanada also returned to pen the script, along with Tatsuya Kato who helmed the movie’s music. It was released in Japanese theaters last January 4 and was also granted international screenings as well. A little over a month after its release, the movie was confirmed to have crossed 1 billion yen in ticket sales.
The movie serves as a sequel to the end of the anime’s second season, which saw third year members Matsuura Kanan, Ohara Mari & Kurosawa Dia graduating from high school. As the younger members prepare to transfer to a new school, the third years suddenly go missing in their graduation trip. The movie then follows the rest of the Aqours members in looking for the third years, which lead them to Italy, the homeland of Mari’s family.
Source: Anime News Network
- Visuals, Cast, Run Dates Revealed for Kimetsu no Yaiba Stage Play
- John Cho’s Injury on Cowboy Bebop Set Puts Production on Hold for 7-9 Months
- 1st Sailor Moon Eternal Movie Set for a September 11, 2020 Theatrical Release
- Card Game ‘Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters!’ Now has a Record of 10,000 Unique Cards
- Smartphone Game ‘Love Plus EVERY’ to Finally Launch on October 31
- Director Taika Waititi States that Live-Action “Akira” Film Will Still Happen
- New Trailer Revealed for Second Season of Fruits Basket 2019
- Season 2 Officially Announced for Kaguya-sama: Love is War
- New Teaser Trailer & 2020 Premiere Revealed for Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film
- KyoAni President: 4 of 33 Injured Staff Still at the Hospital, the Rest Have Returned to Work
- Studio Ghibli Films Confirmed to be Coming to HBO Max in Spring 2020
- Voice Actress Minako Kotobuki to Study in UK for One Year Starting Spring 2020
- Weathering With You Set to Make East Coast Premiere at Anime NYC
- 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime Now Streaming on Netflix, Features New English Dub
- Kaguya-sama Live-Action Film Surpasses 2 Billion Yen in Ticket Sales
- ‘No Guns Life’ Anime Adaptation to have 24 Episodes
- Makoto Shinkai’s “Garden of Words” Film Gets Stage Play Adaptation in London
- Code Geass Writer, Character Designer, C.C. Voice Actress Announced as Guests at Anime NYC