Moonies one and all, get hyped! This news has been overdue for quite a while now, and now we are finally getting it: Toei has confirmed that a two-part movie for iconic anime Sailor Moon is set for a 2020 release! The new film entitled Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Eternal was announced during the “Usagi Special Birthday Party 2019” event last Saturday, along with the release of a special promotion video. Check it out below!
A new visual was also released for the new film project, which you can check out below.
Most of the cast from Sailor Moon Crystal is set to return for the film, such as:
• Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi Tsukino / Sailor Moon
• Hisako Kanemoto as Ami Mizuno / Sailor Mercury
• Rina Satou as Rei Hino / Sailor Mars
• Ami Koshimizu as Makoto Kino / Sailor Jupiter
• Shizuka Itou as Minako Aino / Sailor Venus
• Misato Fukuen as Chibi-Usa / Sailor Chibi Moon
Toei confirmed some of the key staff that will be working on the film. Chiaki Kon, who directed the third season of Sailor Moon Crystal (which critics deemed an improvement from the first two seasons) will be returning to direct the two films. Character design will be done by Kazuko Tadano, who is credited for the same role in the original anime. The script will be penned by JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure’s Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, with the manga’s author herself Naoko Takeuchi serving as supervisor to the movies.
The two-part film is part of Sailor Moon Crystal, the modern reiteration of the beloved anime classic. Unlike the 90s anime, Crystal adapted the entire manga’s story and also stayed closer to the manga’s art style. Three TV seasons were released so far for Crystal: the first centered on the Dark Kingdom arc from the manga, the second on the arrival of the Black Moon Clan and Chibiusa, and the third featured the Death Busters and the introduction of the Outer Senshi (Uranus, Neptune, Saturn, Pluto). Most Moonies were waiting for news of a fourth season, which is supposed to adapt the Dead Moon arc; now, we’ll be getting two movies instead.
Source: Anime News Network
- Visuals, Cast, Run Dates Revealed for Kimetsu no Yaiba Stage Play
- John Cho’s Injury on Cowboy Bebop Set Puts Production on Hold for 7-9 Months
- 1st Sailor Moon Eternal Movie Set for a September 11, 2020 Theatrical Release
- Card Game ‘Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters!’ Now has a Record of 10,000 Unique Cards
- Smartphone Game ‘Love Plus EVERY’ to Finally Launch on October 31
- Director Taika Waititi States that Live-Action “Akira” Film Will Still Happen
- New Trailer Revealed for Second Season of Fruits Basket 2019
- Season 2 Officially Announced for Kaguya-sama: Love is War
- New Teaser Trailer & 2020 Premiere Revealed for Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film
- KyoAni President: 4 of 33 Injured Staff Still at the Hospital, the Rest Have Returned to Work
- Studio Ghibli Films Confirmed to be Coming to HBO Max in Spring 2020
- Voice Actress Minako Kotobuki to Study in UK for One Year Starting Spring 2020
- Weathering With You Set to Make East Coast Premiere at Anime NYC
- 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime Now Streaming on Netflix, Features New English Dub
- Kaguya-sama Live-Action Film Surpasses 2 Billion Yen in Ticket Sales
- ‘No Guns Life’ Anime Adaptation to have 24 Episodes
- Makoto Shinkai’s “Garden of Words” Film Gets Stage Play Adaptation in London
- Code Geass Writer, Character Designer, C.C. Voice Actress Announced as Guests at Anime NYC