Acclaimed director of box-office hit Kimi no Na Wa is set to come back to the big screen once more with his newest anime film entitled Tenki no Ko: Weathering With You (Weather Child: Weathering With You). Toho has just released a teaser trailer for Shinkai’s newest movie, which you can watch below:
The narration in the trailer was translated by Crunchyroll News as follows:
Male voice: “This is a story about the world’s secret that only I and her know.”
Female Voice: “On that day, we changed the form of the world drastically.”
The trailer also previews the movie’s theme song, Ai ni Dekiru Koto wa Mada Aru Kai, which was sung by the band RADWIMPS. The band had worked previously with Makoto Shinkai in composing and performing the ethereal soundtrack of his blockbuster hit Kimi no Na Wa.
A visual was also released for the movie, with the tagline on the image translating to: “This is the story of the world’s secret that only she and I know”.
Besides RADWIMPS, most of Tenki no Ko’s key staff are people with whom Shinkai has worked with in past films: Masayoshi Tanaka, who worked with Shinkai in Kimi no Na Wa, will be handling character design. Art design will be handled by Hiroshi Takiguchi, who worked on Shinkai’s 2013 film Kotonoha no Niwa (Garden of Words). Tenki no Ko will be produced by STORY, Inc. and will be distributed by TOHO. The original story, scripts, and directing was all done by Shinkai himself.
Anime News Network describes the movie’s story as such:
In the film’s story, high school student Hodaka leaves his home on an isolated island and moves to Tokyo, but he immediately becomes broke. He lives his days in isolation, but finally finds a job as a writer for a shady occult magazine. After he starts his job, the weather has been rainy day after day. In a corner of the crowded and busy city, Hodaka meets a young woman named Hina. Due to certain circumstances, Hina and her younger brother live together, but have a cheerful and sturdy life. Hina also has a certain power: the power to stop the rain and clear the sky.
The lead characters Hodaka Morishima and Hina Amano will be voiced by Kotaro Daigo and Nana Mori,respectively.
Tenki no Ko: Weathering With You is set for a July 19 release in Japan. A worldwide release was confirmed by Shinkai himself, with the dates yet to be announced.
- “Himouto! Umaru-chan” VA Aimi Tanaka Reveals That She Underwent Surgery, Has Already Recovered
- Assassin’s Pride Anime Announces Main Cast, Staff
- New Captain Harlock Manga Launched, French Artist Jérôme Alquié Credited for Manga’s Art
- Season 4 Confirmed for “Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma”
- Square Enix Confirms That Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Be Playable in the Play Station 5
- Otakon in Washington to Host Fruits Basket’s Tohru, Yuki, and Hatsuharu Japanese VAs
- BanG Dream! Releases Full Trailer For Its 1st Concert Film
- Voice Actresses of ‘Made in Abyss’ and ‘Promised Neverland’ Confirmed to Attend Anime Expo
- “Kaguya-Sama: Love is War” VA Aoi Koga to Have a Guest Role in the Series’ Live-Action Film
- Boys’ Love Anime “Given” Releases New Trailer & OP Preview, July Premiere Set
- My Hero Academia Season 4 Reveals Character Visuals for Big 3, Sir Nighteye & Bubble Girl
- Racehorse that Inspired One of “Uma Musume Pretty Derby” Characters Dies
- ‘No More Heroes III’ Game Slated to Release in 2020 for Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Reveals Release Date for “Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening” Remake
- Nintendo Announces “Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” Sequel
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Also Announced by Square Enix at E3
- Square Enix Debuts New Trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake That Includes Tifa
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Slated for a March 3, 2020 Worldwide Release