On the release date of One Piece’s 92nd tankobon volume in Japan, it was announced that fantasy-action manga has just put out a whopping 450 million copies worldwide! Of this number, 380 million came from Japan while overseas markets contributed the remaining 70 million. This impressive feat now sets One Piece on track to beat the sales record of DC Comics’ Batman, which has sold 474 million copies to date.
For added perspective, One Piece has released under 1,000 chapters since its 1997 debut. On the other hand, Batman has already amassed 16,000 issues since its publication in 1939. These numbers then make One Piece’s feat pretty impressive, don’t you think?
One Piece was first released in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in July 22, 1997. Written by Eiichiro Oda, One Piece follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy who gained the ability of stretching his body like rubber after accidentally eating a Devil Fruit. Together with his band of pirates named the Straw Hat Pirates, he explores the Grand Line in search of the “One Piece”, hailed as the greatest treasure in the world and the key to become the next Pirate King. Since its publication, Oda’s magnum opus has enjoyed critical and commercial success in Japan and abroad, even setting a Guinness World Record in 2015 for “most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author”. In 1999, Toei Animation has adapted his work into a TV anime and has been running ever since, enjoying great popularity as well.
‘Non Non Biyori’ Anime is Getting a Third Season! May 12, 10pmIt was announced on Saturday during the “Nyanpasu Matsuri Vacation Nanon”. event that the anime series Non Non Biyori is getting a third season. A promotional video on the announcement of the anime’s third season was also uploaded on the series' official website.
- Musical Anime “Carole & Tuesday” Casts Aoi Shouta, Announces Collabs With Steve Aoki, Andy Platts, etc.
- Agency of “Nisekoi” Voice Actress Nao Toyama Starts Taking Steps Against Her Online Harassers
- More Cast Revealed for Kaguya-sama: Love is War Live-Action Movie
- Aniplex To Release Cells at Work BD In English Dub, English Cover of OP Previewed
- Universal Studios Japan Release Promotional Video for its Sailor Moon 4D Attraction
- More English Cast Members Announced for ‘Sailor Moon Sailor Stars’ Anime
- First Teaser Revealed for Upcoming Boys’ Love Anime “Given”
- Aqours to Perform Again in Anime Expo Los Angeles
- Revolutionary Girl Utena Launches New Musical Stage Play About the Black Rose Arc
- Japan to Send Gunpla Models to Space as Part of Promotions for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Report Claims that Kalafina Disbanded Due to Management Issues, Wants to Reunite as a Group
- “Ouran High School Host Club” Author Bisco Hatori is Special Guest at Anime Expo Los Angeles
- 2nd ‘Made in Abyss’ Compilation Film to Premiere in the US on May 27!
- More Game Trailers Released for ‘Samurai Shodown’ Video Game
- Toonami Block Adds Attack on Titan Season 3, Airs Half an Hour Earlier Starting May 25
- Viz Media Announces English Dub Cast for Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars Blu-ray Release
- Jesus and Buddha Frolic Around Akihabara in New Saint Young Men Teaser
- New Fruits Basket Bonus Manga to be Bundled With 1st DVD/Blu-ray of the Series