The anime music industry has lost another great maestro— singer and composer Masaaki Hirao passed away on Friday. He died at a Tokyo hospital at age 79 due to pneumonia.
Hirao was notable for composing the theme song of Galaxy Express 999. He has also worked on the theme songs for anime films like Galaxy Express 999: Glass no Clair and Captain Harlock: Mystery of the Arcadia. Aside from composing songs and music for the anime industry, he has contributed for the Takarazuka Revue, an all-women musical theater troupe. He composed the music for the The Rose of Versailles musicals.
His debut as a singer began in 1958 as member of “Rockabilly Sannin Otoko” along with Keijiro Yamashita and Mickey Curtis. His first work as a composer began in 1966 as he composed songs for Michiyo Azu and Akira Fuse. He was then awarded in the Japan Record Awards a year later.
Below are videos of some of Hirao’s compositions and songs:
In 2002, he established Love & Harmony, a non-profit organization that aims to donate musical instruments and organize performances intended for the disable and elderly people. Aside from being a singer and a composer, he also opened up the Hirao Masaaaki music school where singers like Seiko Matsuda, Hiroko Moriguchi, Ayumi Nakamura, Yoko Hatanaka, and Mayo Kawasaki were trained. He is also a member of The Japanese Society for the Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC) and the Japanese Composer’s Association.
Due to his contributions for the music industry, he was awarded the Medal With Purple Ribbon by the Japanese Government. The medal is awarded to honor artistic and academic achievement.
Although Masaaki Hirao is no longer with us, his legacy and contributions for the Japanese animation and music industries will continue to live on.
Source: Asahi Shimbun
3 Episode Impression: "Bloom into You"Nov 4, 11amSynopsis A shoujo loving girl named Yuu awaits the day she gets a love confession that sends her heart aflutter with bubbles and blushes. However, upon being confessed to by a junior high classmate, she finds herself feeling nothing.
First Episode Impression: "Hinomaru Zumou"Nov 5, 12pmSynopsis This is a tale that takes on the combat sport of sumo and stars a "small" new student, Ushio Hinomaru. He has entered into Oodachi High School and aims to join the sumo club though it has gained a weak reputation.
A Work of Whimsy: "Hinata no Aoshigure"Nov 4, 6amSynopsis Hinata, a young boy who likes drawing, finds himself falling in love with his classmate Shigure. The problem, however, is that Hinata has trouble talking to other people and resigns himself to his drawings and imagination.
- Marvel Co-Creator and Comic Book Icon Stan Lee Passes Away
- Winnie-the-Pooh World to Return in ‘Kingdom Hearts III’!
- New Anime Adaptation for ‘Fruits Basket’ Manga is Confirmed!
- New ‘Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Eevee!’ Video Features Elite Four and Gym Leaders!
- ‘Lu Over the Wall’ Anime Film to Release on Home Video
- Naruto/Boruto Attraction to Open in ‘Nijigen no Mori’ Theme Park In April!
- More Photos Emerged on the Filming of Upcoming ‘Monster Hunter’ Live-Action Film
- First Episode Impression: "Hinomaru Zumou"
- Umamusume: Pretty Derby TV Anime Returns with a Special Home Video
- ‘Kingdom Hearts III’ Releases New Video Featuring ‘Tangled’ Movie’s ‘Kingdom of Corona’ World
- Ryoko Gi and Takeshi Kusao will be Part of the ‘Black Clover’ Anime Cast!
- Gunjō no Magmell Cast Kengo Kawanishia and M.A.O as Main Characters
- 3 Episode Impression: "Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken"
- 3 Episode Impression: "Bloom into You"
- A Work of Whimsy: "Hinata no Aoshigure"
- Tatsunoko's The Price of Smiles Anime is Listed for 12 Episodes
- A New PV Reveals More Details for Kunihiko Ikuhara's Sarazanmai Anime
- An Okay but Cute Family Romance Story: "Mikakunin de Shinkoukei"